10 Questions with ... Manic Drive
February 4, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Shawn Cavallo
- Michael Cavallo
- Anthony Moreino
- 1997 World Going Crazy Indie
- 1999 Key Lime Cry Indie
- 2000 Clearly Distorted Indie
- 2002 Welcome To The Real World Indie
- 2003 Limited Edition (EP) Indie
- 2005 Reason For Motion Whiplash Records
- 2007 Reset and Rewind Whiplash Records
- 2009 Blue Whiplash Records
- 2011 Epic Whiplash Records
Answers provided by Michael Cavallo
1. Give me a brief history of Manic Drive........
Manic Drive was founded in 2004 by my younger brother Shawn and myself (Michael). We were both born in Toronto, ON, Canada. Shawn and I worked various jobs in retail, sound audio and graduated from Clarkson Secondary out of Mississauga, ON. (West Toronto) Straight out of high school, we began Christian music full time.
2. What does a normal day at home look like for the band?
Our schedule is quite sparse with various tasks to complete within our musical career and ministry. Shawn, myself and our drummer, (Anthony Moreino) aside from touring 8-10 months of the year, handle much of the business aspect such as booking, production, media and micro-management.
We also try to create as much time as possible for songwriting and working on our creative process for future projects.
3. What's the song that you just can't get out of your head right now ?
I've been jamming to Toby Mac's new track "Steal My Show". Love the concept, as such a notable artist that he is, he would humbly ask God to steal his show and do more with it than he could as an artist. It's important to understand that we are instruments and tools for the kingdom of God. Awesome track!
4. How do you juggle life on the road with wanting to be home? How much do you travel, what are the challenges?
Simply the greatest challenge is just that, being away from home. We juggle as much as we can and push through it. Last several years, we've been averaging 8-10 months out of the year away from home As difficult the road may be, we have a deep passion for our ministry. Our loved ones back home greatly support us.
5. What's the biggest "God moment" that you've ever experienced, personal or professional?
Just recently, we had a young women approach us with a letter sharing her personal struggles and testimony. She was going through hardship and troublesome times and was simply encourage by our music. We were moved to hear how we, as simple musicians, can have an impact on someone's life.
As simple of a "God moment" that was, we thought it to be colossal because of it's simplicity. God can use any one of us, at anytime, anywhere and with the small act of a Christ like gesture, you can change a life.
6. What's the last book you read?
I usually find myself reading history text books. I have most recently completed reading a very detailed and descriptive novel of the Medieval Crusades titled "Holy Warriors" by Jonathan Phillips. It traces over 200 years of campaigns in not just in the holy city of Jerusalem, but all across Europe and the Middle East.
Also, I am re-reading J.R.R Tolkiens "The Hobbit". Classic.
7. Tell me about how you became a believer. What caused you to want to serve God in full time ministry?
We were blessed growing up in a solid Christian home and were, at a very young age, involved with a Church that inspired our love for Christian/Gospel music. They encouraged and supported our love of music. We grew up listening to dc Talk, Audio A, Newsboys, Stryper, Petra and the list goes on. We were inspired by these artists and loved the ministry aspect as well. We've been fans of Christian music all of our lives.
8. Tell me the story behind your latest single, "Money".
"Money" was inspired by the verse 1 Timothy 6:10 "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."
Simply put, the desire or worship of money will hinder our path with God, and furthermore, distance ourselves from our Christ-like lifestyle that we called to live by.
When writing "Money", we wanted to relay a message of remembering our blessings, appreciate true worth and not folly our minds with the idea of "needing" sport cars, mansions, watches and jewelry.
It is rather a quality of life with Christ ; than a quantity of things.
9. Favorite comfort food, favorite ice cream flavor?
Chocolate Almonds! ...or sushi! Love it!
10. Person you'd most like to have a discussion with, living or dead?
Being a huge fan of literature, I would of loved to sit down with either C.S Lewis and/or J.R.R Tolkien. Just to be among the sheer brilliance and creativity these men brought would be exhilarating for me.
1. Favorite Bible verse....life verse?
Hebrews 12:1 . It speaks about running the race that God has marked out for us and to not allow our sins to entangle or hinder us in our walk of faith. It's a great verse to live by to know that God is there by our side, however, it is our choice and will to follow what path He has placed for us.
2. Funniest or most embarrassing moment?
Shawn running into a drum set accidently...still don't know what he was thinking. Haha!