10 Questions with ... Jonathan Michaels
June 24, 2013
1. Brief history, synopsis.......
I was born and raised in Portsmouth,VA, the place I currently reside. I graduated from high school in a small Christian school in 2001. I graduated with a bachelor's in communication in 2007 from Old Dominion University.
2. What was it that made you "catch the bug" for radio?
I have always loved music and listening to the radio growing up. I remember listening to my favorite DJ do the top 5 at 5 and top 9 at 9. I always loved hearing new music and getting my requests on the air. Once I got an internship in college I confirmed that this would be a fun career and something I would want to go to each day.
3. What's the most successful on-air bit/break you've ever been part of?
There are some great on air bits but the one that sticks out is the one with a local weatherman in the area. Our local meteorologist on the NBC affiliate was fired after being there for 25 plus years. The word on the street was that he may of been fired based on his Christian faith. This was a big deal in our local area so we got him to come on our station first before speaking to any other media source. Our listener ship quadrupled on our online stream during that interview. The crazy thing was there was very little promo about it on our end. The word had travelled around the area. It was great promo for our station as part of our interview with station banner in the background was aired on the local news stations in the market. I had the task of getting the most answers that people wanted out of him as I could. This was no easy task. He is now a full time pastor in our area and we air his message Sundays at the station. (small world).
4. With the advent of "instant everything"..... How do you prepare?
Ipad. I use it to prep before the show and I use it in the studio during my shows.
5. What would you categorize as your greatest personal challenge in radio?
My biggest personal challenge is to always bring content on the air that will always connect with the listener. The key is always not sometimes so this is something that is constantly in the process.
6. Who are 3 people that you look to as mentors/leaders? What is it about them that grabs & keeps your attention?
My pastor, my dad and my mom. They always live a consistent life for God. They lead by their actions.
7. What do you believe is the single greatest factor in building audience share/cume? Why do you believe it's that important?
The Greatest factor is connection to your audience. If your not connecting they easily can go and find the music your playing somewhere else.
8. Most successful station promotion ever?
We had a really fun promotion for a karaoke machine. We had the listeners interact by singing and filling in the lyrics of songs on the air. It was funny and connected well with our listeners. There are many promos over the years that have worked well but that was the first one that popped into my mind.
9. How do you combat the iPod/satellite/online option listeners have today?
Connection and of course the music you choose to play better be good and become a true source for new music so people will come to you instead of the other options out there.
10. Radio 101....in 101 words or less, how would you guide/instruct/advise a radio programmer/air talent who wants to get better at their craft?
I would say you must be intentional to become better at anything you do. I would advise on writing out your breaks as you get started. I would advise to learn how to say a lot without saying a lot! If you're in a music format then please have a knowledge of who you're playing.
1. Most embarrassing moment on air?
We were doing our share a thon. I kept saying "Let me Turn You on Jenn" I was referring to her microphone but i failed to include that word. I did this several times out of habit.
2. Favorite Cereal, Favorite Cartoon, Favorite Fast Food?
Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Donald Duck, and Subway (is that fast food? haha no drive thru)
3. You've got one last live break on air....and then the radio will go silent. What do you say, and why?
That's easy, being in Christian Radio. Tell them about Jesus! :)