10 Questions with ... Josh Wilson
January 10, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Sparrow Records
- See You
- Life Is Not a Snapshot
- Trying to Fit the Ocean in a Cup
1. What is the story behind the latest single "I Refuse"?
I wrote this song after the Nashville flood [May 2010]. I was out of town when it happened but when I came home my first inclination was to pray for the victims and ask God to rally the community and bring people to help raise money. I came to the realization that I can use prayer as an excuse to not do something myself. Prayer is good but we can't just stop at prayer. How many things are we making excuses for? I can't do everything but I refuse to do nothing.
2. What is the message behind the new album?
The album explores ways that I have seen God.
3. Do you have any humorous or interesting stories from recent radio visits?
At my first ever GMA a radio person (I can't remember the station) came up to me with a mic and put a paper in my face. I had never done liners before and didn't know what I was doing. This person said, "You can do this. Just say 'I'm Shawn McDonald and you're listening to...." In hindsight, I should have used Shawn's name.
4. Do you have a favorite song on the new album?
"They Just Believe." It comes from the story of the man who approached Jesus and asked him to heal his son, and said, "I believe but help my unbelief."
5. You played 18 different instruments on the album, yeah? Do you find any one more interesting to play than another? And will any of those instruments come out on stage?
The hammered dulcimer, which I had never played before this. It was surprisingly challenging but fun and takes about 30-45 minutes to tune. I played percussion in high school and I play piano; it's kind of a mix of those. I plan on using some in the live show, just not sure which one yet.
6. Which do you enjoy more: the studio or the stage, writing, recording or performing?
I like them equally. Billy Joel once said, "I don't enjoy writing but I enjoy having written." And then I like to share those songs with people.
7. Where is your favorite place to play?
My hometown of Lubbock, Texas
8. What song do you wish you had written?
"The Story" by Brandi Carlisle. It's the perfect song. I love her voice, the melody, and the lyrics.
9. Do you have much time to check out other artists' music? What are you listening to right now?
Recently it's been Brooke Fraser's new album "Flags." It's musical poetry.
10. Do you make New Year's Resolutions?
My resolution is to not make New Year's resolutions. I keep it by breaking it.