10 Questions with ... Dilip
March 14, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Lightcave Recordings
- The Great Reversal (2011)
1) Tell us a little bit about your musical journey.
Well, I did not have a background in music and I couldn't really sing! During my first year of college in India, everything changed as God turned my life around for good. A friend gave me a guitar and I began learning. Eventually I started leading worship at a local church. From there, I moved down South where I pioneered a youth worship movement for five years and traveled all over India. Later, I began touring to different nations around the world.
2) Tell us about the story behind the new single "You."
"You" is a song of newfound love. When you fall in love with someone, everything about the person is so captivating and you cannot help but fall helplessly in love. God's love for us is greater than any other love. I wanted to write a love song to God and express the purity of love because in popular culture the word "love" has a distorted meaning. Also, I wanted to create something different from what I've written in the past.
3) Is there one specific theme or message behind the songs on "The Great Reversal"?
Grace is the overriding theme. The album is a journey of rediscovering the beauty of grace.
4) What would you say is the most pressing issue facing the global Church today?
Compromise with integrity and God's standards
5) Do you have any musical or songwriter mentors?
I've never had anyone mentor me in person but I've loved Martin Smith's of Delirious songwriting. Musically, bands like U2 and Coldplay have influenced me (who hasn't been influenced by them?).
6) Who inspires personally and/or spiritually?
I have a few great leaders who I draw from spiritually. I also read a lot of books to get inspired in my faith. Personally, some of my best friends who are always there to talk to.
7) Have you spent much time touring the U.S.? What cities might we see you playing in 2011?
I've been to over 25 states in the US over the years! I would love to do a tour with my new music. I'm going to definitely be in Chicago, New York City, Michigan, Dallas, Nashville and a few more cities this year.
8) What is the best piece of advice you've ever been given?
You're called to be faithful not successful.
9) Fill in the blank: I can't make it through the day without:
10) Do you have time to listen to much music? Are there any new artists or music out there that have caught your ear?
Yes, I try to! Bruno Mars is someone I really dig at the moment. That guy can really sing!