10 Questions with ... Phil Vassar
July 3, 2011
1) Congrats on starting Rodeowave Entertainment! What made you decide to start your own label and why did this feel like the right time?
After so many mergers of record companies I wanted to ATTEMPT to control my own Destiny.
2) Tell us about your new single "Let's Get Together." What was the inspiration behind writing it?
I am a VERY social person. My house is where my friends and family all seem to congregate and I LOVE IT. I was thinking about that great feeling I get when we all hang out.
3) As an artist, you have been on major labels before but what do you see as the benefits for an artist of being at an independent label?
The focus I receive as an artist and my project.
4) How old were you when you wrote your first song and what drew you towards a career in music?
I was 16 years old - it wasn't very good. HA! My dad was a singer and loved music- and I love music and STILL do!
5) You have had songs recorded by so many artists including Tim McGraw, Collin Raye, Alan Jackson and many more. If you were to list songs that you are most proud of throughout your career, what would make that list?
That's a TOUGH question! I love all of them Some were more successful than others- but they all were a snapshot of where I was at that time in my life.
6) Have you ever had a dry spell with writing and, if so, how do you break out of that?
NEVER! With all the craziness - its not hard to have something to write about.
7) We hear you should have a full album out to the fans by the end of the year. Tell us what you are excited about with album number seven and what's different about this one.
I am trying different things this time around. I recorded this record in my home studio which mad it really fun for me.
8) I know philanthropy is big in your life. Tell us about your favorite causes and why they are so important to you.
Anything revolved around Children. St Judes of course! And I do a charity fund raiser for the Miller House For Girls in Lynchburg VA, which is my home town.
9) Who are some of your mentors in the music business, on the creative or business side?
I love songwriters like Charlie Black and Rory Bourke.
10) What's next for Rodeowave? Are you looking to sign new artists?
We are very excited about the possibility of singing new and established acts looking for a new beginning.
1) Who do you consider some of the greatest songwriters of all-time, any format?
PAUL MCCARTNEY, John Lennon, Jimmy Webb, Harlen Howard, Elton John, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen
2) If you can have any artist, alive or dead, record one of your songs, who would it be and why?
BEATLES! ENOUGH SAID.
3) I can't not mention your two daughters! How old are they now and what are some of your favorite things to do together when you have some time off?
They are 12 and 7 and are AMAZING! We do everything together! Swim, cook, read and draw. I love being with them.