10 Questions with ... Lola Montgomery
March 11, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
I joined KUPL in 2010 and re-united with OM Scott Mahalick, who I worked for at Entercom Country KKWF/Seattle. I was made APD/MD last year. I have also worked at the former Country KBWF/San Francisco, and Entercom's KWJJ/Portland
1) Hey Lola! Did you really know that you wanted to be in radio since age-11? And then you started harassing the owner of the station? Tell us about that.
Actually at the age of five, I knew radio was exactly what I would be doing. I would have "radio shows" in my room and my dolls were my audience. I would call in to my favorite station and they started putting me on the morning show. I was "Ivana with a pet Iguana." I was 11 at the time, so please remember that! I grew up in a small farm town and when my mom would go into town to get groceries I would have her drop me off at my favorite station and I would ask to talk with the owner Roger Turnbeaugh. We developed a friendship and after about 9 years of me showing up he finally said "please just put her on the air already." That was 24 years ago this past Valentines day.
2) What was it like growing up in Linden, California-were you a 'girly girl' or 'tom-boy'?
Linden was your quintessential small town. I went K thru high school with the same people and had my own lip sync band in High School, where we would perform at our high school rallies. I was always different and knew that would not be the place I was destined to settle down in. And to answer your question about girly girl or tom boy- I carry a cap gun in my boot at work and a real Beretta Stampede nikel plated colt 45 in my holster at home.
3) Are you loving the MD gig? You must have had a steady stream of new artists coming through-who has really blown you away?
I LOVE my job and I LOVE my boss (Scott Mahalick)! Who gets to say that and mean it??? I DO! The one person who has my mind boggled beyond the thunder dome is Hunter Hayes. Hunter is the NEXT Keith Urban- mark my words.
4) How would you describe your on-air style to someone that has never heard you?
I would say that I am the same girl on the radio as the one off the air. I believe I am a quirky, fun, warm, happy, positive, emotional person on the radio with lots of high energy CHR style radio.
5) I know that you, OM Scott Mahalick, and everyone else at KUPL are pretty techno-savvy. How are you incorporating Facebook, Twittter and everything else into your shows?
It's no secret that social networking is a mirror of KUPL. It's an online extension of our brand that allows our listeners to join the conversation anytime they want!
6) Can radio continue to thrive and stay ahead of other music choices like Pandora, Spotify etc. And how can we do that in your opinion?
YES! Radio WILL thrive! LIVE, LOCAL personalities in my opinion will always win. Knock Knock--who's there? Satellite radio. Satellite radio who? EXACTLY!
7) We know that you lost your husband to cancer a few years ago and we love this phrase of yours: "You Never know how strong you are, until that is the only choice you have." I bet you've been an inspiration to a lot of people with the awesome attitude that you live by.
An inspiration? I am not sure about that! What I am sure of, is that life is precious and short. I am a better human being for having gone through that experience. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone but my son and I are standing tall with a different appreciation for each day. I walked, literally through fire and don't smell of smoke. God is so good.
8) Since that happened in 2009, how have your priorities changed?
My priorities HAVE changed! I do not worry about things like I used to. I really live every day like it may be my last. I use my fine china every day and don't worry about the small things anymore. I am so grateful.
9) What causes are you involved with now? I know that you work with neglected children.
I am involved in an organization called, Take Strides Against Breast Cancer, and host their breakfast every year. It makes me feel like I am doing something in memory of my late husband Rick. I once collected one million six hundred thousand pennies and donated the $16,000 plus, to help abused and neglected children in the Portland metro area.
10) Finally, you have lost a lot of weight-you look amazing! How did you do it?
Thank you! I feel amazing. I think we all have issues from our past that creep up on us. Usually in our late 20s to 30s. And believe it or not, I HID behind that weight for about 17 years. After my husbands passing, I said enough is enough! I went on a program called "optimal health 247," and lost 110 lbs in 10 months and altogether 149 lbs. I like to say I have lost a Lindsey Lohan. My whole world is different. I am really proud of my accomplishment and have never felt better about myself.
1) It says in your bio that you like to garden-what are you growing?
NOT for print- Hey what I grow in my garden is not legal in 42 states-jk.
2) How many times in your life has someone walked up to you and started singing the Kinks' classic song "Lola?"
If I had a dime for every time someone has sang that song to me, I would be rolling IN a ROLLS!
3) If you could only watch one TV show which would it be and why?
I would watch Antique Roadshow. I'm a sucker for anything old- that's why I like you Jimmy!