10 Questions with ... Bill Gentry
April 22, 2012
1) Congrats on your record with Tenacity Records! I heard you recorded it with a live show in mind. Tell us what that means for the music.
It is extremely dynamic with a lot of up-tempo and high-energy music.
2) What was it like working with producer Chad Carlson? It must be nice to have a Grammy winner on your side in the studio!
It is the experience of a lifetime! Not only is he a musical genius, but also a dear friend.
3) Tell us about your single "That Kind Of Life" and what made you want to pick it as a single?
The reality behind life is that it's never easy. Finding your way is hard-but I believe if you live your life to the fullest and work as hard as you can, everything works out OK. I love this song because it's a great up-tempo with a positive message that gets in your head and you can't stop singing it.
4) Your bio says you had a previous career as a politician. You can't say that about too many Country artists. What drew you to politics?
I was in politics because I wanted to make a difference in the world. Now I try and do that through music.
5) I know you were in a band in high school. What kind of band was it and do you have anything you guys recorded still?
It was a rock cover band-leather pants and all-ouch! I don't have anything we recorded-or the leather pants!
6) Growing up in a small town like Carrollton, GA, did you listen to a lot of Country music or what were your biggest musical influences?
My Mom loves Country music so I listened to a lot of it growing up. Charley Pride, Elvis, Hank Sr. and we watched Hee Haw, so I'd add Roy Clark to that list. Some great Gospel too-like Mahalia Jackson.
7) You must keep yourself busy since you also own the popular club Wild Bill's in Atlanta! Why do you think the club is so popular there?
Our focus is to make the cub the very best in the nation - we are competing with every venue in the country and that attitude and approach helps elevate our success. Plus we have the greatest entertainers play there and some of the hardest working and best looking staff on the planet!
8) What made you decide to turn your focus to your own music career?
I've always been a performer-from 4-H competitions to 5th grade talent shows to my own band in high school. Opening Wild Bill's was a natural extension of that. We needed a place to play, and I wanted to create a venue that other artists wanted to come and play. So it all revolves around music.
9) I know your bio mentions that Garth Brooks had a big impression on you. Why is that and who are some other Country artists you love?
Garth Brooks is an influence because of his great ability to select powerful songs and his live performances-he knows how to emotionally touch people and get them to feel his music. Other influences include Alan Jackson, Kenny Rogers and Keith Whitley.
10) Best of luck with your new music in 2012! What are you most excited about that you have coming up this year?
My debut Tenacity CD, "Baptized In Temptation," comes out later this Summer, so that's another goal achieved. My tour schedule is starting to get full which means I will get to see new places and meet new people all over the country.
1) If you could perform on stage with one artist in any genre who would it be and why?
Bruce Springsteen so I could learn from the best.
2) What is your favorite restaurant and what should we get there?
Waffle House. Get 10 scrambled egg whites, dry toast, bacon-well done and a Diet Coke.
3) What are you favorite TV shows to watch?
Anything on the History Channel. I stay away from Bravo-too much girlie stuff!