10 Questions with ... Hilary Hoover
July 22, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Big Machine Label Group- A&R Intern
- Purdue Concert Committee- Production Director
- Black Eyed Peas- Assistant to Advanced Crew Tour Manager
- LMFAO- Assistant to Tour Manager
1) What initially interested you in the job at ALL ACCESS?
I have used All Access as a resource for quite some time and loved the idea of being able to reach out and communicate with everyone involved in the industry. It's been fun keeping up with Country music news and finding different ways to relate to music fans and professionals.
2) How did you end up in Nashville while attending college at Purdue?
My first trip to Nashville wasn't until I was 19 but I fell in love with it instantly! When I realized I wanted to get into the Country music industry, Nashville was obviously a perfect fit. I worked hard to get an internship at Big Machine Label Group so I could see what the industry was like and be in Nashville for a summer. Once I got here, my sights were set on coming back after graduation.
3) Were you always interested in working in the music industry?
I have always been passionate about country music but didn't realize it would be a career for me right away. I changed my mind several times and tried out multiple internships to see where I would fit. Once I considered working in the music industry, though, it stuck! My internship at BMLG and touring experiences helped me solidify that I was in the right place.
4) What about the music industry was attractive to you as a career choice?
Because the music industry is ever-changing and full of passionate people, it was an easy career choice for me. They always say to do what you love, and I'm excited that listening to music constantly and networking with other people who share my passion will always be part of my job.
5) What kind of music did you listen to growing up?
My personal choices were typically Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys and N'Sync, and I always listened to Shania Twain, Celine Dion and Whitney Houston with my family. As I got older though, I wouldn't stop listening to Country music or Dave Matthews Band.
6) Aside from listening to music, what are some other hobbies?
I love being outside-I enjoy playing intramural sports with friends, running, and going to the lake as often as I can! I also go to concerts and sporting events whenever possible.
7) What do you love about living in Nashville so far?
I love that Nashville is unique. Everyone has a little bit of southern charm and there's always something to do. I love that you can duck into a hole-in-the-wall bar on a random Tuesday night and find some amazing music you never would have heard anywhere else. The city is full of people passionate about music!
8) If you could be on any TV reality show or game show, which one would you want to be on?
To start, it would definitely be a game show so I could avoid all the weepy drama. I'd love to be on the show Wipeout. It looks like a blast and I would get a kick out of attempting the crazy obstacles, whether or not I actually did well.
9) When you were a little kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I was an indecisive kid, so I wanted to do anything from working for a non-profit organization to being a lawyer or an elementary school teacher. Needless to say, it's a good thing I finally made up my mind.
10) Here's a hypothetical question, but if you were getting married this year, and if you had your choice of anyone what artist or group would you have play the reception?
I'd go with The Band Perry. I learned a lot about them during my BMLG internship, then I got to work production for their show at Purdue last winter. They have a lot of sweet romantic songs but I've also seen that they can make a crowd get up on their feet and dance. They're amazing people on top of all that and I think they'd be great wedding guests!
1) Pizza or Sushi?
Both! But usually I'll pick pizza.
2) What was the best movie you've seen in the last year?
Bridesmaids-- I could (and did) watch it over and over!
3) What are some of your favorite TV shows?
How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory are my favorites right now, but FRIENDS will always be at the top of my list.