10 Questions with ... Roxi Lennox
August 19, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
The past 25 years of my career have been spent in Anchorage, AK. Formats include: CHR, HAC, and Country. Positions include mid-days, mornings and PD for Hot AC format.
1) Hi Roxi- You are a morning personality on KASH's "Morning MOO". Before that, you worked in Hot AC and Top 40. Are there any differences in the country audience and the way that you relate to them?
It's amazing how the Country music audience has changed over the years. I see Country as "the new 'pop'"! We DO make sure we stay real close to being "family friendly" in the morning. We talk pop culture like the other formats and do not limit our chatter to Country music artists. Miranda Lambert just performed here in Anchorage last week... and sang Lady Gaga's "You and I".
2) Co-hosting a morning show must be fun, but be honest, how tough is it to wake up so early on those cold winter mornings?
I wake at 3:30am and travel 50 miles to work in blizzard conditions! I've been doing this commute for 8 years. You DO get used to it, but I STILL need 4 alarms to wake me in the morning :)
3) Speaking of cold winter mornings, how did you end up in Alaska anyway?
I married a man in the USAF who was transferred here. I raised 3 awesome kids here and still enjoy this crazy state of Alaska!
4) KASH is an iHeartRadio station. I'm actually listening to your Alaska show in my Nashville office right now. Technology is so cool! So tell me, where was the furthest listener from, that has ever called into your show?
Afghanistan. Our AK troops love us and call us all the time from overseas. Listening to us on iHeart Radio gives them a feeling of "home".
5) When did you start listening to Country music?
I started enjoying Country music back in the early 90's. Shania, Alan Jackson, George Strait were the favs back then.
6) Did you always know that you wanted to be a radio personality?
Nope. I thought I was going to be a graphic designer. In college, I took a lot of art classes, but was GM of the campus radio station. I liked the radio stuff better :)
7) Aside from the KASH studio, where are the top three places that someone can find you on any given day?
Production Room 1, on the highway (100 miles total each day), and at home.
8) Tell us about one of the most memorable radio events that you have ever been involved with throughout your career, and why was it so special?
KASH Country 107.5 does a "KASH for Kids" Radiothon with the Children's Hospital at Providence and the Children's Miracle Network. It's a 21/2 day event with a total of 30 hours on the air. Meeting the kids is the BEST part! They each have a story to tell and their hospital stays are due to a variety of different medical situations: from the little boy who was kicked by a moose, to premature babies weighing only 1lb. at birth. Meeting the FAMILIES, doctor's and staff members, getting to know all of them, and being able to stay in touch with them touches me deeply. We do this event each year in February. Our listeners are awesome too... to see how generously they give to the Children's Hospital. It REALLY feels good on the inside to be doing this event!
9) What's the last album that you actually bought or downloaded? Sorry, radio promo albums don't count!
I am a song driven gal and listen to many genres of music. The last song purchased was Kip Moore "Somethin' 'Bout a Truck" :)
10) It says in your bio that you have lived in Alaska for 25 years! What advice would you give to someone who was thinking about moving up there?
Maybe move up here in June so you can fall in love with the place before winter hits!
1. If your life were depicted in a movie, which actress would you want to play "Roxi Lennox"?
Meg Ryan I think. She could easily cover the serious AND silly aspect of my personality.
2. Do you drive a dogsled to work?
Never been on one in my life :)
3. Is there REALLY 24 hours of daylight in Alaska?
In some areas further north, yes, but not here in Anchorage. Around 3am it does actually start to gets a little dark.
Did you not have any Sara Palin, Bristol Palin, Willow Palin or Levi Johnston questions for me? Heehee!