10 Questions with ... Sarah Darling
July 14, 2013
1) You just released your single "Little Umbrellas" to Country radio. What prompted you to choose this for your next single?
I chose "Little Umbrellas" as a single because it's a fun summer song... It felt like the perfect time to release it! I hope as soon as listeners hear it they imagine themselves on the beach with a pina colada! I also think the song shows a different side of me that radio and fans have yet to hear. I call this one my girls' anthem!
2) You have begun a new venture and are working closely with Alexander Music Marketing. Can you tell us a little about that experience?
John Alexander has been my manager for the last few years but recently he branched out and started his own company when we both parted ways with my previous label. I honestly feel that when he came into my life, the puzzle pieces started to fit. I've never seen anyone with more passion than him! Now I feel like we have more creative freedom and the tools to go to the next level of my career. It's so exciting for both of us!
3) Who have been some of your biggest musical influences?
Shania Twain really influenced my career. I remember being 14 years old and seeing one of her music videos and thinking, this is exactly what I want to do! She opened up a new door for females in country. I also admire Trisha Yearwood, Allison Krauss, and Lee Ann Womack. Then throw in a little Fleetwood Mac and Tom Petty!
4) You are the face of Moon Pie! That's a pretty sweet (literally) endorsement deal. Can you tell us a little bit about how that came about?
My endorsement deal with Moonpie came at the perfect time, really. I had a single out called "Home To Me" that gave people that "home" feeling - so what better partnership than one with a sweet that takes people to that special place. Moonpies remind me of bing a kid, so every time I eat one it takes me home. We also partnered with the Grand Ole Opry and Southwest Airlines for a sweepstakes offered on the back of the boxes bringing lucky winners to Nashville! So next time you go into the grocery store, look for my face!
5) What are some of your passions besides music?
If I'm not singing, I'm probably in the kitchen. Baking makes this girl so happy! I feel like it's therapeutic in a way to bake amazing desserts. (Of course, I enjoy eating them too!) Besides that I love traveling, and consider myself a fashionista because of my obsession with dresses.
6) You were on last season's ABC-TV "The Bachelor" performing two different times. Can you tell us what it was like being part of that show and experience?
Being a part of "The Bachelor" was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had! It took place in Whitefish, Montana, one of the most gorgeous places on earth. I think it was a combination of the mountains in the background and being on a real set that I can't get out of my mind. I was honored that ABC wanted me to sing "Home To Me" on one of the episodes because I always thought it was a perfect love song!
7) What experiences most influence the songs you write?
I always pull from real experiences when I write my songs. I tend to write exactly what's going on in my life. It seems here lately every song I write is about love, love, love! Maybe that's because I've found it in my fiancé! I know that there have been times in my life that I could say exactly what I wanted to say in a song. That's the beauty in songwriting for me.
8) You recently got engaged! What's the most exciting part of the wedding planning up to this point?
The most exciting part of wedding planning for me is coming up with ideas for a country-meets-British wedding. My fiancé is a handsome Brit! It will be fun to see what we come up with!
9) What is a song that you wish you would have written?
I wish I would have written "The House That Built Me" by Miranda Lambert. Every time I hear it, I can't help but tear up!
10) You bake a new recipe weekly each Saturday on Pinterest as a part of "Darling Desserts." What persuaded you to begin this weekly posting?
I started the weekly Darling desserts because cooking is something that's very close to my heart. I think it's great when artists can let fans in on something they really love. Authenticity is the only way! Plus I love coming up with new recipes.
1) What a guilty-pleasure TV show of yours?
My guilty pleasure show is Downton Abbey.
2) What type of music are you listening to right now, and what are some of your favorite songs?
Right now I'm listening to Lady Antebellum, Civil Wars, and Kip Moore.
3) What is your favorite "Little Umbrella" drink?
That's easy, Pina Colada!!!