10 Questions with ... Charlie Monk
January 30, 2011
1) So, first the obvious question-when were you dubbed the "Honorary Mayor Of Music Row" and how did you get such an honor?
Gerry Wood made a reference, because I knew everyone in the Nashville music community, that I should be Mayor of Music Row in a story he did on me in COUNTRY WEEKLY. Jim Bessman picked up on it and did a great cover story for the NASHVILLE SCENE with my beautiful face and the label "MAYOR OF MUSIC ROW."
2) You're background is so varied I don't know where to start, but is it true that you got your start in radio sweeping floors?
Yes, but I did it like Fred Astaire.
3) You started at ASCAP in 1970 and so began a long career in the music industry. Why did you leave radio initially?
They refused my request for pay.
4) Your bio says that you are a: "talent scout, a nurturer, a developer and a song seller." You are kind of the George Plimpton of the industry. Do you just love doing everything?
I decided that if I chose a specific career path, I would have to do THAT every day. That would make me want to set my hair on fire.
5) Your own publishing company is called Monk Family Music. Do your family members work with you?
They have asked that I change the name because I refused their request for pay.
6) You signed Randy Travis and Kenny Chesney to songwriting deals-those must be proud accomplishments! What are some others?
Mozart, Irving Berlin and Hank Williams VII
7) You're currently on the air at Sirius XM. What kind of show are you doing and do you do it live?
I do a very good show, but I do have a cardiologist as a co-host with a couple of paddles.
8) Many people know you as the host of the New Faces Show at Country Radio Seminar (CRS) and your jokes can be, well, brutal. How do you decide who will be in them from year to year? And I haven't been in one for years by the way-does that mean I'm off the radar completely?
You must be a recognizable member of either the music or radio biz to be included in my monologue.
9) Has anyone ever gotten really upset about being the punch line in one of your jokes? For instance, have you ever been chased to your car?
A lot of people get upset, but I'm a "Mama grizzly" and they don't want to be left out of the next show. Two Foot Fred did chase me to my car in his chair.
10) You're also a renowned songwriter. What have you written that we would know?
I can be serious. I've written songs recorded by Eddy Arnold, Jerry Reed, Charley Pride, Keith Stegall, Louise Mandrell, Jimmy Dean, Pat Boone, Angelo Badalamenti and others. Mostly album cuts, but they all made money and made my wife happy.
1) You won a Clio for a Coca Cola commercial that you voiced- which one was it?
I did 34 but the Clio was for Dottie West and IT'S THE REAL THING campaign.
2) Are there any new artists out there that you are enamored with?
Carrie Underwood and Kellie Pickler, but they got married. I'm impressed with Jamey Johnson and Easton Corbin. One is cute and the other is Jamey.
3) If you could have anyone on your radio show, living or dead, who would it be?
George Strait, Patsy Cline, Elvis, Frank Sinatra and Nick Saban.