April 16, 2014CPR Promotional Check-Up - Apr 16, 2014
It's been a year since stations in Boston had to deal with the unthinkable and unimagineable. And tey did great. Rose to the occasion. Proved that Local Radio can be a powerful force in/for the community.
So here is a quick reminder on what to do if God forbid, something like his occurs in your market:
- Turn off auto-posts to social media. If you post something about Selena Gomez's hairstyle as the world focuses on your market, you will be rightfully perceived as a fucking idiot.
- It depends on the scenario but collecting money for something like what occurred in Boston, would be pointless. Blood always makes people feel like they're helping out and blood banks ALWAYS need donations no matter what market you're in.
- Change the website. Seriously. Have some 'nads.
- Speaking of round things, giving out tickets or doing The $1000 Magic Song Of Day when the entire country/world is focused on your city, qualifies you for an exciting career in mortuary science. Drop the contesting. Newcap in Edmonton ended Fugitive(c) five days early because of a tragic quadruple cop-i-cide that was the #1 news story in the country. They got maybe 5 complaints and over 9000 emails or letters complimenting them on their choice. They ended up donating the money to a fund for the slain officers' families.
- QUICKLY scan your music and make sure that there's nothing that is offensive. Like a station that I heard play "The Walls Came Tumbling Down" by Mellencamp at 11 am CST on 9/11/01.
- Live on Facebook and Twitter because that's where the audience will be.
- Look for specific hyper-focused stories that you can work with. In Boston, possibly that might have been the 8 year-old victim.
- If it feels right, open the phones. Sometimes in life people need to talk and we can give them the forum. The best Radio that I ever heard? Power 106 in LA during the LA riots. They just opened up the phones and let people talk.
- Don't take positions and delete people who get all "conspiracy" on social media.
- You have an hour. At max. And then you need to have something on the air.
Every station and every market and every situation is different. Use your gut and dare to be bold. The audience will thank you.
April 15, 2014CPR Promotional Check-Up - Apr 15, 2014
Textperate And Dateless The "Loser Line" was always good for some fun/stupid audio on Monday mornings. I think the first time I heard it was with Dave Morale's giving numbers to girls from SFO on Spring Break in Palm Springs so they could shed the creepy dudes trolling ...
April 14, 2014CPR Promotional Check-Up - Apr 14, 2014
Promotions That Give You Gas "Gas" is a Promotional Position. Like "Weekend Contests", "Streets", "Community Involvement", "Concert Ownership" and "High Schools" for the CHR's and Rhythms. One station in every market, when the prices spike, does something and takes ...
April 11, 2014CPR Promotional Check-Up - Apr 11, 2014
Things Pandora Can't Do, # 11,628 I've always been very impressed by what stations in Norfolk, Jacksonville, Fayetteville and San Diego have done to work with and acknowledge the significant military community and their families in their markets. Like last month with ...
April 10, 2014CPR Promotional Check-Up - Apr 10, 2014
Theme Parks First, if you're going to do a remote at a theme park, mike yourself and ride the rides. Most theme park broadcasts are as exciting as a remote from Popeyes. One of the stations has been tasked to do "something" on opening day. They're looking at doing a ...
April 9, 2014CPR Promotional Check-Up - Apr 9, 2014
Cry For The Camera, Honey Looking beyond prom, when is your next opportunity to do a great warm and fuzzy for teens? ("warm and fuzzy teens" is the ultimate filter tester) Graduations. It's an Ode To Parenthood to throw a great party for your graduate. But with ...
April 8, 2014CPR Promotional Check-Up - Apr 8, 2014
Interviews With Celebs Pimping Projects They ALL sound the same. Every single one. I remember working in SFO and Bruce Willis was in for something or other, and the morning show took him down to the coffee kiosk around the corner with a marti and the barista dude and the ...
April 7, 2014CPR Promotional Check-Up - Apr 7, 2014
Why You Should Have Your Radar Up The Next 90 Days There are weird prom stories that happen in literally every market every Spring. Kid can't go because they have too many piercings. Gay couple banned. Girl makes her dress out of meat. And the proposal stories. Smart ...
April 4, 2014CPR Promotional Check-Up - Apr 4, 2014
50,000 Facebook Shares From the lovely and talented Dave Robbins with CBS and Discount Disney Tickets & Souvenirs! on Hotel Drive in Orlando, http://www.ibtimes..com/articles/323886/20120404/samantha-brick-daily-mail-writer-regret-over.htm Taking this to the next level ...
April 3, 2014CPR Promotional Check-Up - Apr 3, 2014
Prom With A Twist The whole 'win a date to prom with a DJ' bit has been so over-done, and usually poorly. I've got a hook. But since you're not a client, too bad. However, what if you spun this and had your morning guy or girl take a teacher to prom. Fact: every school ...