CPR Promotional Check-Up - Oct 3, 2011
October 3, 2011
NamesWith pretty much every radio station doing exactly the same thing (Win It Before You Can Buy It, Family Four Packs and Prize Packs), just simple semantics will differentiate what you’re doing from the rest of the pack. Which is what Promotions is, basically. Standing out.
With that said, three promo requests crossed my desk yesterday that could be fun to play with.
- One of the stations is going to do a costume drive for low income kids. Seriously, I’ve never heard this done. Really cool idea. Possible name? “(Station’s) Charity Bootique”
- You should have a list of every family event, haunted house, corn maze, costume parade and other Halloween attraction on your website. And it’s OBVIOUSLY sponsorable. Instead of Map Quest, a station-to-remain-nameless is calling theirs Haunt Quest.
- A Newcap station is going to stick their Friday night club gigs under an umbrella and then change up the theme every month, ie: Cougar Month. Why do people go to a club? To drink and fornicate. Basically. “The Friday Night Hook Up” would cover that, as would “12 Step Fridays.”
Reindeer RacesA station-to-remain-nameless has had 15 $100 giftcards to a mall land in their lap for December. The client would like to do one a day. First, please don’t call these things “giftcards”. That’s dumbing down a nice prize. White CASTLE has gift cards. “$100 in shopping money”. “Ho Ho Dough”. Anything but a freaking “giftcard”.
I believe the promotion that we’ve arrived at will be a daily on-air reindeer race. Nine callers will be taken and they each pick a reindeer from Santa’s retinue. A pre-recorded call-to-the-gate will air, a bell and then a track announcer will call the race. Your reindeer wins, you get shopping money.
The “And Then” Theory Of HoopsHeard on a station a contest that:
- Asks you to go to the website and register your name
- And then listen at an appt. time in the morning to find out WHEN they will read out a name.
- And then return at that time to listen for your name, call, win concert tickets and qualify for a cash prize.
Too many “and then’s”.