CPR Promotional Check-Up - Nov 19, 2012
November 19, 2012
I'd been at Kiss 102 in Charlotte for a week in 1989 when the Jim Bakker trial started. We did "Jim Bakker Prison Survival Kits" that consisted of soap on a rope, a station license plate (he was going to make a lot, so he should get one for free), a cassette of "Jail House Rock" and a Twinkie with a file buried in it so he could saw the bars and escape. Two TV stories and newspaper coverage that got picked up and went national. And a couple of years ago, a non-Radio friend in the Carolinas recalled it verbatim. You don't get 21 year recall with a Free Music Weekend.
On Friday night Twinkies was the #4 story on the network news after Benghazi hearings. My favorite email exchange of the day was with from Rich Davis at KDWB who wass driving around the western suburbs of Minneapolis that night looking for Twinkies. (Could be a euphemism). One grocery store agreed to hold some but when he got there, they were gone.
In the meantime:
- Live 105 in San Francisco did "Tickets & Twinkies" and Googlized the website.
- 610 WTVN in Columbus dropped a whopping 30 dollars and did the following competition. They have the remainder away http://iheart.610wtvn.com/pages/pp_bigbassbrothers.html?article=10580759
- Run, don't walk, and tweet or post to FB this from Karson at Mix in Boston. Responses blew up: "@karsonwithak: Hostess is going bankrupt? Didn't we just legalize pot?"
- Goose at The Peak in Colorado Springs went out, bought a bunch and tied them in black ribbons. They were given away at remotes all this weekend.
- KLH in Milwaukee found this link on how to make your own Twinkies
and tomorrow will be Twinkie Tuesday; Twinkies & TSO tickets.
- Pamal in Glens Falls has Coats & Cans happening so Jackie Donovan ran out, bought a bunch, and people who donate get Twinkies. Yes, it is Rocket Science.
- http://1033ampradio.cbslocal.com/twinkie-trade-in is the link to the Twinkie Trade-In at AMP in Boston.
- Attaching imaging from Y-98 in St. Louis.
- Spoon from Mix in San Antonio was out creating video at Targets.
- A morning songstress somewhere is recording "We are never ever ever ever eating twinkies again."
- Planet 105.1 in Lafayette ran out, bought a bunch and are simply giving them away on the air. The phones have gone "(bad word) nuts" for a .98 cent prize.