CPR Promotional Check-Up - Feb 21, 2013
February 21, 2013
Again, I refer to the payphone project. Over the years the stations have had some incredible success with calling Lake Havasu, Ft. Lauderdale, South Padre, Cancun and Panama City. Just simple night show stuff to make you sound tapped in to what's actually happening in your listeners' lives.
- The best, the Hall Of Fame bit for Spring Break, was from WNCI where they did a contest and picked a girl and sent her and her friend to Daytona. ONCE they were down there, part two was revealed. Morning guy plus her father, fly down. They'd told her to be in her room at a set time every evening to take a call from the night guy. So she was there when they popped in. Oh. And so were some guys and some booze and...you get the idea.
- A couple of stations are working on Spring Fake, where you help a broke college student get tan and dummy up photos so they can make their friends believe they were actually at the beach. One station actually got cheap souvenirs and cocktail napkins from Daytona and gave them out as further evidence they'd been on the beach.
- Wild in OKC did Spring Broke. They got 2000 logoed plastic drink cups and sold them for $5 each. These were good for admittance and 97 cent beer at all their bar gigs that week.
- If you went to college in SFO, Palm Springs was where you went circa 1992. So I had Dave Morales (now at Mix in Houston) catch the last flight of the day south after his Friday night shift. And on Saturday, he just prowled the pools, finding students from the Bay Area and putting them on the air. It sounded so so vibing. And it cost a plane ticket and a hotel room for two nights.
- 'HYT in Detroit did that with Lisa. Flew her down on a Saturday morning. She roamed the beaches looking for students from Michigan with a DAT. Flew back on Sunday night and all the next week her show was peppered with audio of local kids having a ball on break and sending out shouts to the poor sods who got stuck at home.
- 102 Jamz in Orlando has an audience that's older and won't necessarily be flocking to the beach for Best Buns contests. But they will have kids who are out of school and need occupying. Creating a daily series of events for moms who suddenly have their hands full of kids for a week, would be cool. Movies. Parties. Open swimming at a pool. Something at a mall.
- Attaching a promo from Power 96 in Miami that is great.
- I was stuck in a hotel in a blizzard in Albany with 300 girl swimmers and their chaperones. (Coming soon to Cabalerro Home Video) Chaperone Horror Stories would be good for a topic one morning.
- At one of the stations we're looking at the female co-host grumping about how she never went on Spring Break because of (faux premise). Stage a couple of calls from young people saying that's too bad, she should tag along with them. Basically find a bunch of college women she can ride with and share gas expenses with while she finally gets to enjoy Spring Break.
- It's not necessarily rocket science: do a club event and audition listeners who are going south, to cover it for your Facebook group. They get a giftcard to a bail bondsman, admin rights, a phone for photos/video/calls, some condoms to hand out, and new swimsuits. They become little MTV reporters for you, seeking out local students, posting photos and covering the action.
- Or...do Spring Blog. Open it up to all the people who are out of town to post and report from the parties.