CPR Promotional Check-Up - May 16, 2013
May 16, 2013
Morning Show Shtuff
I'm working on a compilation of features and bits from around the World Wide CPR Love Network, which begs the question: why aren't you feeling the love? Like "White, Black, Hispanic or Other" that Power in Miami does; something that is pretty specific to your station's morning show and might not be found on a bit board or 900 other shows.
- First, the Justin Bieber Douche-O-Meter has returned following his Anne Frank comments http://daveryanshow.iheart.com/main.html
- In terms of topics, "I Caught My Parents Doing (Blank)" blew up at one of the stations.
- KZIA once did "DMV Makeovers" where they'd send a hairstylist and makeup artist to the license center to fix people before they got stuck with a ten year embarrassing photo. This is being brought back as a photo gallery: submit, post and vote on the worst drivers license photos for a prize that will include getting a free family portrait done for Christmas.
- The Dr. Don Show at WYCD in Detroit has done "Toilet Theater" where Grunwald will stick his head in a toilet (bucket of water) and recite quotes from films. ID the movie to win.
- Fernando & Greg at Now in San Francisco were the first "on" Vadering. But what about Harry Pottering? http://thechive.com/2013/04/15/here-comes-the-new-quidditch-craze-24-photos/
- From JT at Y-94 in Fargo: Funny topic I stumbled on – my intern was named after a tranny. Her dad was in the waiting room, looked over to the lady next to him asked what her name was and "she/he" said renee...he went with it. What did your parents name you after is what I asked – I kid you not a guy called named Ashby – his parents conceived him on the Ashby (it's a town) exit on I94...wtf!
- And Danny Vigil at KOB-FM in Albuquerque has gone out and done "Drunk Spelling Bee" where he'll go to clubs and ask drunk people to spell basic words. The audio he brings back is amazing.
Gowntown, Part II
A huge Gowntown event for AMP in Detroit where they not just helped a lot of their listeners be able to afford to go to prom, but they got some TV out of it. http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/21951518/gown-town and at http://www.clickondetroit.com/community/Teens-get-a-helping-hand-for-prom/-/2207168/19730890/-/9hws4qz/-/index.html
I heard a DJ at one of the other stations in town give a mention to "one of our regular listeners, listening on line in Belarus."
Okay. That's kinda cool. When 98PXY in Rochester started steaming, they had a globe on the website where little logos appeared where people were listening in from. Again, it was a KILLER visual.
When I went to China for our second adoption, I brought some station bumperstickers and placed them and took photos. Like the attached KDWB sticker on the Great Wall (the Wild/Tampa sticker on a highway overpass in Nanjing almost got me arrested and 30-40 years in a penal colony harvesting organs)
Q-102 in Cincinnati had a Flat Fritsch that you could print and take with you for photos on Summer vacation. She went to some pretty exciting places without ever leaving Cincy. What if you did that with your morning show and listeners who travel internationally. The military. And international listeners.
My friend Jill took me to a cool little bar on some island near Charleston. The wall was covered with photos that people had taken of their drink coasters, all over the world. In front of a pyramid. With the Eiffel Tower in the background. In Pisa. Again, why not a radio station? We're a lot more global than a bar in South Carolina.