CPR Promotional Check-Up - Apr 7, 2014
April 7, 2014
Why You Should Have Your Radar Up The Next 90 Days
There are weird prom stories that happen in literally every market every Spring. Kid can't go because they have too many piercings. Gay couple banned. Girl makes her dress out of meat. And the proposal stories. Smart stations are always looking for this stuff to jump on http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Student-Takes-Houston-Texans-Cheerleader-to-Prom-248582071.html
We were doing a radio station that was up against a monster with a big buck contest. So he ran a promo with listeners talking about how the music on the other station sucked and their DJ's sucked and it was horrible that they would have to sit through all of that just to play the big contest. So our station made it easy and painless: we listened for you and announced when you had to call and win from them.
At one point 1/3 of their winners were our listeners. They (the other station) went berserk. Our guys ran actual winner promos of our listeners thinking us for helping them win off "them" without having to sit through the crap music and the crap talent. We text and email listeners when their favorite song is about to play...why not text them and tell them when to call and win off the competition?
I got my first golf request from KZIA a couple of months ago and then it hit with a vengeance this past week. Going to the airport yesterday in a cold driving rain of about 50 degrees, the local driving range in Forest Lake? Packed. If you're into golf, you're really into golf.
- Charity tourneys abound. I saw one that CBS in Sacramento did called "Slice And Dice" at a casino course.
- Q-104 in Halifax did a promotion with Maxim last year called "Closest To The Pinhead" which had one of the morning people gearing up in a sumo outfit with a helmet and facemask and listeners drove balls at him.
- I lob this out about once a year. Get Lacey Underall at YOUR event? Every guy between 40 and 60 will show up. Bookable here http://www.cindy-morgan.com
- What if you did "At The Stroke Of Midnight" and gave night vision goggles to the morning show and some listeners for a few hours of severely visually challenged golf. This has "1,000,000 youtube hits" written all over it.
- The next level would be Blind Golf. Randomly pair two guys with two girls. The couples never see each other. With the assistance of promo staff, blindfolded, they golf 18 holes.
- I saw "Strip Dodgeball" as a file name the other day. Strip Golf is pretty self-explanatory. Players lose an item of clothing for every stroke over par they are, each hole. They're eliminated when they're down to their underwear...but only after playing a hole.
- A girl who has "sat" my daughters works in the summer as a bikini-clad drink server in a golf cart on a local course. This has Street Team potential written all over it.