CPR Promotional Check-Up - Mar 17, 2015
March 17, 2015
First Crack At Mothers Day
You don't really have to look much further than daytime TV to get all your Hallmark Holiday morning show ideas and themes. They've done all of our research for us; if "My teenage daughter is OUT OF CONTROL" didn't work, they wouldn't use it every five episodes.
I was at the Dallas airport and there was a mother with two kids who epitomized "My mom dresses too damn sexy!" The coat was alright I guess but the rest of the ensemble really was straight out of some Cabalero Home Video from 1987. She was Roller Girl. Literally everyone was peeking or trying to snap pics of her. And her kids were trying to stand as far from her as they could. Lots of future therapy there.
Anywho, get a fashion consultant and hair, makeup and clothing clients and do a makeover.
We've pretty much dumbed down cash contesting to really being background noise but there are still glimmers of hope when it comes to having access to artists.
The problem is we think like Radio People. "We got Joey Fatone? Cool. We'll do a show in the Performance Room!" Awesome.
One of the stations had an offer to do "Anything you would like with Katy Perry" and because they thought like Radio People, they were scheming "Win an acoustic show from Katy Perry!"
I focus grouped that question with about 200 non-Radio females and not one person came back with "Have Katy Perry play for me!" It was all stuff like going shopping with her, going gambling with her, going to a spa with her, having a pool party with her, touring a candy factory with her...experiences not performances.
The exceptionally cool and on-a-roll Island 106 in Panama City has Bones Thugs & Harmony as one of many artists at a Spring Break concert series. They're going to do a thing where you can roll the dice with them to win cash, jet skis for the day, booze and even a boat for a day.
What else have stations done with artists?
- KDWB in Minny and Power in Atlanta have done High School Press Conferences with acts.
- KLUC in Las Vegas and Q in Memphis have done blackjack games with acts.
- WPGC in DC and 102 Jamz in Orlando have brought artists to listeners homes to make them breakfast in bed.
- When Rayne was at 'NOU in Indianapolis, he awarded a school with Justin Bieber as their principal for a day.
- Hot in Ottawa had listeners go on a waterslide with Bieber.
- Z in San Diego had some artist go and do a listeners job for the day.
- Several of you have had artists take control of listeners Facebook pages and run them for a few hours.
- Also at 102 Jamz, they had an artist with 10 pairs of winners have extra-special, VIP access to all of the rides at Disney.
- Wild in Oklahoma City has a limo and had some act pick up a kid and her friends at school and drive them home.
- KDWB had Mariah Carey take a winner on a $5000 shopping spree at Mall of America.
- KDWB also had Game Works closed for an afternoon of electronic gaming with a boyband.
- KRTR in Honolulu does boat cruises with artists. Ditto with 'PGC on the Potomac.
- One of the Country stations had an artist go and surprise a listener and propose to her for her boyfriend.
So, look beyond the Performance Room. It could be as easy as throwing some dice.