CPR Promotional Check-Up - Apr 25, 2011
April 25, 2011
It has started in earnest. WPGC did one. Power in Miami did one. Wired in Philly has had the gas fairy out. And someone, hopefully you, will be the first in your market.
Couple 'o things:
- This is big. It's always big. It causes mayhem. Consequently, you do not announce the location until you are set up and ready to go. In fact, you don't want the location to be knowledge outside of maybe three people in your building. You want examples of what happens when it gets out? Ask.
- You always want a concert banner on the roof of the building and you want little tat logos on the pumpers hands.
- You want a "Last Car!" sign on the back of the last car. Nothing will cause a riot quicker than some guy who sat in line for two hours being told, "Oh. Sorry. You're car number 101."
- "Gas cards" suck. "We're filling your tank." Or, as the competition in DC alluded to this morning, "We want to F you up. Listen at 6:15."
- "We don't have the budget". Fine. Then do the Dave Ryan "Gas Wars" idea. Backstage for pretty much any concert would work JUST FINE. You open phones and give the passes to the gas station owner who will sell gas for the cheapest. The first time in Minneapolis they got it down to -10 cents a gallon.
One good gas giveaway will kick off the Spring Book with a ridiculous amount of buzz that will emasculate whatever lame Birthday Game the competition is trying to start.