10 Questions with ... Martin Garrix
January 21, 2014
1) You're 17 years old; how did you get your start producing music?
I saw Tiesto performing at the Olympics in 2004. That was the first time I got in touch with electronic music and I just started buying CDs and electronic music compilations. I started saving up some money to buy my own DJ set and a little later I installed fl studio on my computer. I just started messing around with it. In the last two or three years, became more serious and last year I got signed to Spinnin' Records and put out "Animals"
2) "Animals" recently went to #1 in the U.K., which is an incredible accomplishment, what was the feeling like when you found that out?
Its unreal,; I made the track as a club record to get it played in my sets and to get it played in the festival and the clubs. Suddenly we started charting World Wide and BBC Radio One picked it up on their playlist. I feel it came out of nothing cause; for me it was just another track that I made. To see such big things happening around the track is something I still do not realize.
3) Did you ever expect it to be so big?
4) Who were some of your earliest influences and do you remember the first song you ever bought?
Tiesto was the one to really got me into it. Tiesto's "LL elm paradise" was the first song that I ever went into a shop and bought on CD.
5) Being 17 years old, has your age been a hindrance at all when getting into clubs around the world? How is that to navigate?
In Europe they're not very strict, but in America they are kind of stricter and it's very hard in Vegas. We recently confirmed my first Vegas show and I needed to enter the club five minutes before my set, then play my set, and five minutes after my set I needed to leave the club, which I understand.
6) Is there a producer, remixer or vocalist who you would love to work with?
7) What's been your biggest highlight so far?
I was at Tomorrow Land and I was in the crowd with some friends and "Animals" was getting played every hour. At the closing set from David Guetta, Afrojack and Nicky Romero, we were in the front and then suddenly I heard David Guetta mixing the intro to "Animals" and I was like "no, he's going to play 'Animals'."
8) You do a lot of traveling; is there one must-have item that has to be with you when you are on the road?
9) Is there any particular diet or food you rely on, orare you a fast food person?
I try to avoid fast food on the road. It is very attractive to want to go to a McDonalds, but if you go on a daily basis, it is not very good for your condition -- and I am doing some heavy tours. In February, I will probably do 10 shows in 10 days.
10) What can we expect from you in 2014?
A lot of new tracks. I locked myself up in the studio in the last few months and have enough tracks till April. I have five to six new tracks ready. I am doing my U.S. headline Tour; I'm touring Australia; during the Winter Music Conference I'll be in Miami. Some really big collaborations coming.
At 17, you probably play video games. Is there a favorite video game?
No I don't game, I don't watch TV. If I have free time I like to spend it with friends, family, or producing.
I heard you recently went bowling with Laidback Luke; what was your score?
I was not very good .... probably in the 60s