10 Questions with ... Afrojack
April 22, 2014
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/djafrojack
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/djafrojack
- Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/afrojack
1) Five years ago, did you think a Dutch DJ from Amsterdam was going to be headlining main stage at Ultra Fest?
Never, but I'm really happy it did happen. I've met a lot of people around the world, but playing in Miami is so beautiful.
2) You have a new album coming out on May 19th, "Forget The World." What can your fans expect from the album?
My fans can expect brand new Afrojack music in its most pure form. I really wanted to be honest with my fans and give them something new.
3) You've had iconic records such as "Take Over Control" and "Can't Stop Me" and now you have two singles out, "Ten Feet Tall" and one with Jared Leto from Thirty Seconds To Mars, "Do Or Die." How did "Do Or Die" come about?
Jared wrote me if I wanted to remix a song; I listened to it and I thought it was amazing. I met him and I said let's collaborate and work together. We made a brand new mix and it became the "Do Or Die" it is today. Everybody loves it, I'm excited. It's on the new album.
4) Also on the album is a song with Snoop Dogg ... any other collaborations?
Wiz Khalifa, Wrabel, two songs with Matthew Koma, a song with Sting. The Snoop track is the biggest party song of the album. It is one of my favorites.
5) You DJ all over the world; is there a favorite city you love to DJ in?
Miami, Miami Music Week. Every year Miami Music Week is #1.
6) Aside from the album that is coming out, any remixes?
The "Do Or Die" remix is out; there's a David Guetta remix of "Ten Feet Tall" that is incredible. I called him and said I have a stupid question -- would you like to remix my song? He said he would and I was like, Yes, a David Guetta remix. David's a really good friend of mine so I'm very happy about that. I'm also working on live versions of my album. I want to take the album and remix it for my live show, so that my live shows become even more special and spectacular.
7) How did you first get into DJ-ing?
I went to a club for the first time when I was 14. I was already producing music as a hobby, but then I saw the energy of the people; there was no communication because the music was so loud and it was so dark. Everyone was free ... there was no judging, no rules, just freedom. I never really had a place I felt I belonged until I went there. I knew I wanted to do this the rest of my life and I got into DJ-ing.
8) Do you remember where you were the first time you heard one of your songs on the radio?
I was in my friends' car in Rotterdam. It was a Mix Show by the Party Squad and they played a song I produced for them. There was somewhere around 20,000 listeners. It was insane. I could not believe that my song was on the radio and all these people were listening to it.
9) So you weren't riding around in one of the Lamborghinis that we see outside of many of your shows?
That was back when I didn't have a car. Then I bought my first car. I bought it for $700; it was 1985 Suzuki Swift
10) Is there a favorite DJ that you like to listen to?
Kaskade is playing right now; he's a friend of mine and I love his music. I'm going to go say hi to Tiesto; he is legendary. David Guetta is really crazy ... and I heard this new underground producer who works with a lot of the big producers. His name is Alvin Risk; he played at Mansion right before Zedd. He destroyed it! And he didn't destroy it by playing the hits; he played stuff I've never heard in my life. It was insane!
Do you have any spare time? Do you do anything in your free time?
Make music, make things around music, make art, study music, listen to what my friends are playing, listen to my friends production techniques ... just everything music. Sometimes I play PlayStation, or I go to festivals.
With all the traveling you do, what is one must-have item?
Laptop, always have a laptop. It's a lifesaver. You can PlayStation on it; you can Super Nintendo on it; you can watch movies; you can produce music on it; you can film the Ultra Music Festival on it.