10 Questions with ... GTA
August 5, 2014
1) What does GTA stand for and who is GTA?
GTA stands for good times ahead. It's really just a good vibe; it's what it takes to get the party started and we are party starters. Julio & Matt are GTA.
2) Four years ago you were working hospitality at Ultra, then you were attending Ultra, and now you are one of the hottest production duos out there. How do you go from working hospitality to working with Diplo and all the artists you are working with?
Hard work, dedication, and consistently working on music for the love of music -- it kind of just got us to meet the right people.
3) You guys are from Miami. How was it going out to Ultra this year?
Julio: It's amazing to see all my friends from high school who I never have spoken to recently and the crowd going crazy. (Matt) While you're playing in front of all these thousands of people, in the crowd you spot out your high school friends ... it's pretty awesome.
4) How did you guys meet?
Facebook. We were mutual friends and I hit him up. He showed me his music. I was listening and his stuff was super-professional. At the time I was just starting to produce, so I hit him up for tips and eventually we met up in person and did a song and it was picked up by Afrojack and ever since then we worked together.
5) Speaking of big DJs you have done something with, you have a song called "Boy Oh Boy" with Diplo. How did that come about?
We have been working with him on and off for a while. We have other tracks with him as well we just randomly went to the studio to work on something and made all these crazy sounds and ended up making "Boy Oh Boy." We just made it more for our own DJ sets and it just kind of exploded into some crazy Internet sensation.
6) What are you working on now?
We are working on an album now. We just signed a record deal with Three Six Zero Music, which is a branch under Warner Bros., the single is "Hard House." We are real excited ;we are working on a lot of new material from Rap to House to Reggaeton. We are trying to get a bunch of vocalists on it ... more vocalists and rappers, kind of a next level thing. It's going to be insane.
7) You guys do remixes as well, "Atmosphere" by Kaskade was a huge record, one of the biggest ones of this past year, and you guys did a remix on it. Did you reach out to Kaskade, or did he reach out to you?
He actually reached out to us. We had done a really chill trap version of "Move For Me" by Kaskade & deadmau5. We sent it to him; we just did it as an idea and he really loved it. We just chatted in his DM and he hit us up and said, "Hey do you want to remix 'Atmosphere' as well?" We were honored; we're big fans of Kaskade.
8) How did you guys first get into DJing?
Julio: I met Matt; he was a DJ before I was a producer and I would watch him DJ. Basically he would DJ his own music and I knew I wanted to start DJing. DJing to your own music is so cool.
Matt: I got into producing first. It led to the DJing. You make club records, then you want to DJ with them. I started playing guitar in high school teaching myself, I was never really in a band so I went for production and started recording myself. I just loved the aspect and the thought of DJing. You know just playing a lot of stuff and for two or three years, just open format. DJing around in little clubs and lounges and then the production and music caught up with us and people started asking us to DJ for them.
9) What can we expect from you in 2014?
A new album, a lot of new tour dates, we are doing a bunch of festivals this summer, big festivals such as Coachella, Lollapalooza, and EDC we're just trying to get out there.
10) If there is one person you could work with that you haven't yet who would it be?
Pharrell. We love Pharrell; we've got to hang around him a bit and got to see how he works in the studio. It's unbelievable; we would like to have a few tracks with him at least.
What is your favorite city to DJ in other than Miami?
There's a lot, San Diego; we love San Diego. Also Sidney is amazing and London, too. London is fun to play as well.
What is one must-have travel item?
Laptops and back-up batteries.
What is the best restaurant in Miami?
For the best Cuban food in town it's a Cuban cafeteria on the beach. It's on Tenth & Washington. It's amazing; you have to go there if you haven't been there.