10 Questions with ... Galantis
November 11, 2014
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
1) Who are Galantis?
We are Christian Karlsson of Mike Snow and Linus Eklow of Style Of Eye and we're two friends from Sweden who started Galantis in 2012. Christian is from the songwriting and producing side of things and Linus is from the producing side, with a little bit of songwriting and together we are Galantis.
2) Mike Snow and Style Of Eye have been very successful groups, how did you meet?
We knew a little bit about each other being from the same circle of people back home, but when I started Mike Snow, "Animal" was the first single and we wanted a remix so I asked (Linus) Style Of Eye to remix. He was the first one to remix the song and we got into the studio and started talking about music; we started sharing music and different experiences and it lead to us finally doing something together.
3) You've had a few singles out -- "Smile" and "You" -- and your current single is "Runaway (U & I)." What can you tell us about the song?
We like to experiment a lot with the merging of vocals and tweaking vocals and pitching vocals; this song definitely has a lot of that. It is also the first single from the coming album. We felt like it was a great track to bridge over from the EP to the album and to start this album process.
4) Any remixes on the song?
Yes!!! We have a Kaskade remix and we have a Dillon Francis remix. Two amazing people.
5) You mentioned you have a new album coming; is there a name for it and what can we expect from it?
Not that we can share now; not yet at least, we've been working so hard on it, we're never worked so hard on something in our careers and we've very proud of it, proud of the music. We've been writing and working on this for the past two years.
6) You have been together for a few years and you had a live show that debuted at Coachella earlier this year, what was the reaction to it?
It was incredible ... really mind blowing. We had no idea what to expect; we had just put out our first EP 10 days before that actual festival, so getting out there we were really nervous not knowing how much people knew our music; we had something like 10,000 people singing along to something that was just released, so it was really unreal.
7) Is there a favorite city that you like to perform in?
It's hard to not love N.Y. and L.A. as we spend most of our time there. These two cities are always special to us.
8) What can you tell us about your tour?
We actually just finished touring. We have been doing a lot of festivals.
9) With all the touring you just did do you see any differences between the States and the rest of the world?
We realize how open-minded Americans are to anything that you can dance to. That goes on all over the world, but there is something special here. For example, recently we played on a Thursday night in NY. People were going for it and absolutely losing their mind; we haven't really seen that mid-week when going to shows. Plus, with the history of Hip-Hop here, anything that bounces hits. You don't get that everywhere; you can easily go from straight up House/Techno to something that has a Trap feel and it totally works.
10) Some of your videos in the past have been talked about quite a bit, what can you tell us about the video for "Runaway (U & I)"?
We can't tell you that much about it, we just shot it and we're excited for it to come out.
If you weren't working and could go out tomorrow night and hear one DJ play, who would it be?
We'd probably try and figure it out, but we'd end up in the studio finishing up our album, because that's what we have to do.
A favorite restaurant you can recommend to your fans?
We are big food lovers, it's going to take awhile, how much time do you have? La Poubelle on Franklin Ave in Los Angeles and Bestia on 7th Place in downtown L.A. is really, really good.