10 Questions with ... Audien
March 17, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
1) Where does the name Audien come from and where are you from?
I wish I had a better story, but my name was actually given to me by a couple of friends I used to make music with when I started. It doesn't mean anything at all, actually. Just kind of stuck. It kind of clicked, so I kept it. Nate Rathbun is my real name, and I'm from Mystic, CT.
2) You started about five or six years ago on Ferry Corsten's label, how did Ferry find and his label find out about you?
I was just messing around making some newbie music, and I sent a demo in to Ferry's label. They liked it and they released it! That was the spark that kind of caused me to start making more and more music, which got me better and better at making music, so it's kind of how I got here, believe it or not.
3) In five years, you've been on some incredible labels ... Armada, Black Hole, Enhanced, Flashover, Nervous, Spinnin' ... and you just recently signed to Astralwerks?
I always made styles of music that fit the different labels, but now with Astralwerks, they give me the ability to make all kinds of music as well; we just release it all in one place so it's awesome that I can have that freedom as an artist. Yes, it's just a great family.
4) You have a new single with Parson James called "Insomnia." What can you tell us about that?
Well that's an interesting track; I came at it a little differently. I finished the instrumental first, or the bones of it, and then I got the vocals after. Put them together, worked it in and it became a really awesome record. I got to know Parson as well ... and he's the man! Just a really cool guy. It is organic and great. The record came together easy and I love how it sounds. It's my favorite one to date so I'm really excited about it.
5) Is there an album coming as well?
Not yet, possibly an EP situation. Lots of singles at the current time, an EP when the music is done.
6) Earlier this year you were nominated for a Grammy in the Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical category for your remix of "Pompeii" by Bastille. How did that feel and do you remember where you were when you heard the news about your nomination?
Surreal! To be nominated is amazing! I grew up watching them so to be able to go, sit and watch the Grammys live this year was insane. I'm probably going to remember that forever! I was on a train and looking at my Twitter that was going insane so I knew something was up. Wow, I was nominated. Cool!
7) There's a remix floating around that you did ... I'm not sure it's an official remix ... bootleg mix might describe it better. There's a lot of hype and buzz on this Van Halen "Jump" remix that you did. What made you want to remix it?
I just felt like doing it one day. I had actually heard the song, like I knew the song forever, for many years, but I heard it again more recently on a train. I feel like everything is happening on a train, and I decided to remix it. It was like wow, those chords, synth chords is kind of like what I do today, and consider my signature sound today, so I should pay homage to that awesome original style; that's where it originated. That kind of d-tune, synth chord tune. So I decided to do a remix. It goes off when I play it.
8) Aside from working in the studio, I'm sure they're will be some new remixes in the future, not sure you can talk about any of them but I'm sure you're busy remixing as well?
I'm not really doing many remixes, to be honest. I'm not really into doing constant remixes. I like to do maybe one or two a year. I only remix tracks that I can feel. It's the only way that I can do it. So there will definitely be a few remixes this year.
9) 2015 is off to a great start for you. You signed as an exclusive resident DJ at Marquee, Nightclub & Dayclub at the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Las Vegas. When did that start?
My first one was on March 14th at the Dayclub. I'm absolutely excited to be at the Cosmo ... just such a great vibe there. I'm excited!
10) You just did a tour with Insomniac. Is there another one coming?
We're working on one. We just did the Audacity one. Super-successful. We sold out almost all of them. It was awesome. They were my favorite shows too date. The crowd was like on another level! It was the best situation to be in.
Favorite city to DJ in?
I mean every single one cuz they all have unique vibes. I love L.A. and N.Y., those are notable mentions, but also San Francisco cuz I have a great fan base out there. That became very apparent on the Audacity Tour.
Festival or club, which do you prefer spinning at?
I like festivals cuz they're short but sweet sets, and I like clubs cuz they're longer and more drawn out where you can build a set instead of just playing your tracks and hits. So I like them both equally. I get asked that question all the time and I never real knew how to answer it until now.
If you were at a club and could hear only one DJ spin, who would it be?
One DJ spin ... that's a good question. DJ Snake! Yeah, he's pretty insane. He plays all sorts of stuff. Also, Porter ... I like watching Porter DJ because my career grew while playing shows with him at times and stuff. I always admired the diversity in his sets. DJ Snake is another who is very diverse. I love Hip-Hop so hearing that live, especially at a festival is pretty massive.
If someone was to visit Mystic, CT, what restaurant would you recommend?
In my hometown, specifically, there's one called Bravo Bravo. It's kinda the upscale type of restaurant but the food is really good! It fits the atmosphere. There's also a ton of seafood places down here like the Ocean House, which is not far from where I live. It's a five-star hotel and restaurant. A lot of celebrities are coming through there. It's beautiful ... right near the ocean. It's right near Taylor Swift's house.
When you travel, what's one must have item?
Wet ones the hand wipes. Gotta shout-out to the Wet Ones people! Probably use like nine a day. Especially when you think about all the babies, ladies and dudes with all kinds of sicknesses touching that you just get rid of it with a Wet One and you live happily ever after!