10 Questions with ... Jay Styles
July 16, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- WSJT/Tampa, FL - PD - 2011 to Present
- WABB/Mobile, AL - 2010 to 2011
- WJJS/Roanoke, VA - 2008 to 2010
- WHZT/Greenville, SC - 2007 to 2008
- WAPE/Jacksonville, FL - 2004 to 2007
- WBHV/State College, PA - 2003 to 2004
- WPXY/Rochester, NY - 2000 To 2003
- WIRQ/West Irondequoit, NY - 1997 to 2000
1) What Got You Interested In Radio?
Beginning when I was about 5 or 6 years-old, I would mute Sports Channel and MSG, and announce full Mets, Nets, and Knicks games. Everything just fell into place from there. I grew up in a great radio city, Rochester, NY. Names like Brother Wease and Scott Spezzano where our celebrities and I wanted to be just like 'em!
2) Who do you consider your radio mentors?
I have had the honor to work some of the greats! Guys who are truly "Cooperstown" like Cat Thomas, Bob Neumann, Kobe, Jeremy Rice, and Mike Danger have all played a part over the years in crafting the person I am today.
3) What makes your station or market unique? How does this compare to other markets or stations you have worked at?
Tampa's radio landscape is as competitive as it gets with WFLZ versus HOT versus WILD; Eagle versus Q105, and US versus QYK. Across the board each format has to battle the same musical format. It's crazy but so much fun to watch and listen to. I still feel PLAY had a place in the market. We have one the best air staffs in the country! Before I took over as PD back in May, we had a Bill Parcells type of PD in Bob Neumann (now at KHMX/Houston). We had all the pieces to the puzzle, but it was just one of those things that it didn't work out.
4) How do you position the station musically?
We are HOT A/C but I look at us more of a Top 40 that leans towards the upper demos but does not play Rap. We have a very smooth sound with quick and simple imagining.
Example music set:
- Kelly Clarkson - "Stronger"
- Coldplay - "Paradise"
- One Direction - "What Makes You Beautiful"
- Nickelback - "Photograph"
- Katy Perry - "Wide Awake"
5) What do you view as the most important issue facing radio today?
Being "Real" and "Original!" I think a lot of what radio does today is very archaic and cookie cutter. However, Clear Channel has done an amazing job with iHeart Radio. I like the chances Phil Becker is taking in Ft. Wayne. I adore morning shows like That Guy Kramer, Bobby Bones, Bert, and Dave Ryan. It's genuine, REAL content (or at least that's how it comes across). Miguel from That Guy Kramer's show is an openly gay man who just so happens to be black, two faux pas we as personalities have always steered clear from. However, it's reality and our listeners are real! The show does an amazing job of exploring those topics in ways everyone can relate to.
6) Who is the most amazing talent you've worked with?
"The Mayor" Pete Kennedy...As smooth as they get!
7) How did you get your on-air name?
Two hours before I went on the air for the very first time at WAPE in 2004, we had a contest to name me and who ever came up with the best name would win tickets to see Blink-182 in Orlando. So that is where Jay Styles was born. I have actually met the woman a few times in Jacksonville she has a really sexy tattoo on her leg.
8) Tell us what music we would find on your MP3 player right now and what is it you enjoy about that particular selection?
I LOVE music! My iPhone playlist will go from Of Monsters and Men "Little Talks," to Michael Bolton "How Can We Be Lovers," to Tanto Metro, and Devonte "Everyone Falls In Love."
9) What's the best piece of advice anyone's ever given you? The worst?
Maximize on your strengths, and minimize your weaknesses.
10) What is the one truth that has held constant in your career?
FOCUS! It's so easy to lose focus on your given tasks with all the fun distractions we come across everyday. FOCUS!
Do you have any good stalker stories? Misty requests? "Fatal Attractions?"
I dated two girls who worked at the same restaurant when I did nights at WAPE. I woke up one morning with a large knife in my tire and note that read "I know about Natalie..."