10 Questions with ... Benji Knight
September 24, 2012
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- WDMP/Dodgeville, WI - Weekends/Fill-ins - 2005-2009
- KICB (Iowa Central Community College)/Fort Dodge, IA - Mornings/Fill-ins, Production Director, Program/Music Director - 2009-2011
- KQNU/Sioux City, IA - APD/Morning Show Co-host-Weekends - 2011- Present.
1) What Got You Interested In Radio?
I have always loved making people laugh. I originally wanted to get into television but then I realized that I wanted to have fun and joke around about things, I didn't feel like TV News was what I truly wanted to do. I grew up listening to music all the time and listening to the radio, so I thought about how cool would it be to be able to do that.
After I graduated high school back in 2004, I went to school to become a computer technician. I was working full-time at Wal-Mart and I hated my life. It wasn't what I wanted to do. A friend who worked part-time at WDMP (D99.3) and she was leaving. So she put my name in as a fill-in for her. One thing led to another... And BOOM I was in radio! I have been hooked ever since...
2) Who do you consider your radio mentors?
"Schulte & Swann" from KZIA (Z102.9)/Cedar Rapids, IA. I listened to that show all through my teen years.
"Connie & Fish" from WZEE (Z104)/Madison, WI. I was a huge fan, I listened every day for five years.
"Scott, Mark & Cecily" KKRQ (100.7 The Fox)/Iowa City, IA
"Michael Anthony WDMP (D99.3)/Dodgeville, WI. - He helped teach me the ins-and-outs of radio. He really helped with boosting my confidence so that I could make it in radio. I wouldn't be in the position that I am in right now if it wasn't for him.
3) Tell us what music we would find on your MP3 player right now and what is it you enjoy about that particular selection?
You would find a wide variety of every kind of music. My father always raised me to listen to all different genres of music. Everything from Rap, to Top 40, Country, Blues, Jazz, Classical, Musicals, Rock (Active, Alternative, and Classic)
4) What is the biggest change that you'd like to see happen in the business?
I would love to see radio become more localized again. I love the whole thought of having a live jock in the studio all around the clock.
5) How did you get your on-air name?
Benji is a nickname that my great aunt used to call me when I was little, and Knight was just a random name I got out of the phone book. Good thing I didn't go with my first idea of Troy Hawk.
6) Please describe the worst promotion you've ever been part of?
Back in college, our college radio station had a competition between our morning show and our afternoon show. Of course, I was working on the morning show. We competed in a 5lbs burrito eating contest... I ate all but 3 bites... I thought I was gonna DIE! LOL!
7) What do you do in your spare time?
I love shooting darts... watching movies... and chilling with friends.
8) What is your favorite TV show?
Big Brother... I'm so addicted to this show!
9) What did you want to be when you were growing up?
Originally, I wanted to be a firefighter until I actually saw a house fire when I was six. So at that point I decided I would become a Train Engineer, and then a TV news anchor.
10) What advice would you give people new to the business?
"If you love what you do... you will never work a day in your life."