10 Questions with ... Mike Morales
April 22, 2013
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- KIIS FM/Los Angeles, CA
- KCAQ (Q-105) Ventura, CA
- KKLQ (Q-106)/San Diego CA
- KMYI (MIX 95.7)/San Diego CA
- KBBY (B-95.1)/Ventura, CA
- KRUZ/Santa Barbara CA
- KEHK (STAR 102.3)/Eugene OR
1) What Got You Interested In Radio?
As a kid growing up in Los Angeles I use to listen to Vin Scully and Chick Hearn and and I knew I wanted to become a broadcaster.
2) Who do you consider your radio mentors?
Bruce Vidal, He taught me what radio was all about.
3) What makes your market unique? How does this compare to other markets or stations you have worked at?
Eugene is very unique. It's a smaller market that has the drive of a major market.
Maverick, who is my Program Director, has been in radio since he was a teenager and it's nice to work for someone who really understands the industry and has such a passion for radio.
4) Who is your best friend in the business?
Ron Shapiro (Production Director and Asst PD HOT 92.3 Los Angeles) and Maverick (Program Director STAR 102.3 Eugene).
5) Who is the most amazing talent you've worked with?
I've been very fortunate getting to work with Rick Dees, Bruce Vidal, Magic Matt Allen, and Hollywood Hamilton.
6) What's the best liner you've ever heard?
"KIIS FM, Red HOT at the beaches, totally cool by the pool!"
7) What is the most rewarding promotion or activity your station has ever been involved with to benefit the community or a charity?
In Los Angeles and San Diego we did can food drives and toys for tots and I just can't explain the feeling I get when I see a child smile after receiving a Christmas toy.
8) What was the biggest gaffe you've made on air?
Besides dead air, not turning off my mic, or forgetting my name?
9) Tell us what music we would find on your MP3 player right now and what is it you enjoy about that particular selection?
I listen to a lot of Hot AC, Classic Rock, TOP 40, R&B.
10) What's the best piece of advice anyone's ever given you? The worst?
Don't try and be funny... You're not. LOL!