10 Questions with ... Kanisha K
February 3, 2014
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Facebook, Twitter: Kanishak0342
I have always enjoyed singing and I was in an award winning choir in high school. The choir led to working with Robyn Robins from the Silver Bullet Band. He produced my first album. I made a video for a song off the album "One for Me" with Jim Shea. The video was well received. After making the video, my manager Jim Della Croce and I went to LA and produced two songs at Capital Records ("I Found Love," and "Just in Time for Christmas").
1) What got you interested in music? What inspired you to pursue a career as a recording artist?
My Dad always introduced us to all kinds of music when we were kids, and he encouraged us to try instruments and through everything I landed in singing. I made it a career because of all the support I received.
2) Who are some of your biggest musical influences?
Etta James, Alicia Keys, and Aretha Franklin.
3) What was the inspiration for you new single "My Another Day"?
It seemed like an empowering message and very positive. Also people have received it in many ways. I think it is a beautiful song.
4) How have social networks and sites such as Facebook, MySpace, YouTube and Twitter affected the way you promote your music and interact with your fans?
All of these services help so much, but the one that has really affected me has been Reverbnation. I can connect with other artists and fans on a personal level there.
5) What is your approach to songwriting? How do you capture the inspiration when it comes, and how do you tailor your music to fit in with contemporary artists that are now getting played at radio?
When writing a song, I get a chance to express myself and there is no right or wrong. When I write, I use the piano and that helps me to pull the emotion and feeling out of the song. With radio, as long as the audience can feel it, then it works.
6) How are you using new music technologies to record music and in your personal life?
When I write, I use my iPhone to capture my ideas. In my projects I enjoy the effects and options the iPhone gives me to explore ideas.
7) What are your thoughts on satellite radio and streaming radio services like Pandora and Slacker?
It is a great opportunity to play newer music and introduce new artists. Pandora helps people expand on what they like to hear.
8) What are your thoughts on the new on-demand audio services like Spotify, Deezer, MOG and others?
On demand services are a great way to give listeners more options so they can explore new music they might not have otherwise known about.
9) What are the biggest changes you would like to see happen in the music and radio industries?
I would like to see more meaningful music, less party and dance music.
10) Do you have any advice for upcoming musicians?
Never give up! You have to put the work in before you see results.
What are some of the artists we might find on your MP3 player?
Alicia Keys, Drake, Beyonce, Foo Fighters, and MUSE.
If you had the opportunity to work with any act/artist from the past, present or future, who would it be?
I would love to work with Aerosmith.
Can you pick a favorite song from the new album?
My favorite song is "One for Me"
What was the biggest gaffe you've ever made during an interview?
I forgot to use my stage name when introduced myself.
Why is this lifestyle (recording, singing, traveling) one that you are willing to follow?
Music is my life and I wouldn't want to do anything else. And I enjoy traveling and trying new things.