10 Questions with ... Mat Kearney
March 23, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- Nothing Left to Lose - (2006)
- City Of Black And White - (2008)
- Young Love (2010)
- Just Kids - (2015)
Mat Kearney has had a total of five Top 20 hits on the Adult Top 40 Chart including "Nothing Left To Lose" (#7), "Undeniable" (#16), "Breathe In, Breathe Out" (#18), "Closer To Love" (#12), and "Hey Mama" (#18). His last album, "Young Love" debuted at #1 on the Billboard digital chart and #4 on the Billboard Top 200 chart.
1) Hi Mat! Where does this interview find you today? What's on the agenda today besides our interview?
I'm actually rehearsing at sound check in Nashville for my upcoming tour. There are so many moving parts that I'm going a little crazy!
2) How did you get your start in music? Who or what was the catalyst for you?
I started as a writer. I didn't play music until late in life. I was a literature major in college and I would steal my roommates guitar and write these simple songs with the few chords that I knew. My friends really liked the songs so it gave me enough courage to go for it.
3) You recently released a new album entitled, "Just Kids." What did you learn between albums that you felt you wanted to infuse into this new release?
I really wanted it to be hard hitting and have a lot of swagger. I think you can hear all my hip hop influences in Just Kids. I also wanted it to be gut wrenchingly honest.
4) Can you share with me what your inspiration was for your current single, "Billion"?
"I kept asking myself what song would Kanye and Paul Simon write if they were in the studio together."
5) Who are your musical influences?
Paul Simon is the king! I love Bruce Springsteen's writing, but I grew up on 90s hip hop like Tribe Called Quest.
6) Do you remember the first album you bought for yourself?
The Fat Boys or a Biz Markie single.
7) What was the first song you fell in love with and why?
It was probably "Graceland" by Paul Simon. My dad would play it driving around Eugene. I remember thinking it sounded so cool!
8) Who would your dream collaboration be with?
Paul Simon! Am I repeating myself? Him or a new rapper dude named Logic. I would also love to work with Bruno Mars. He's so crazy talented.
9) Who is on your current playlist? Any artists, musicians or genres we might be surprised to find in there?
"I have actually been listening to the new Calvin Harris record, Motion. EDM is interesting to me. I also listen to a lot of old country. Living in Nashville, its kind of mandatory."
10) What's on tap next for you, Mat? What are you most excited about in 2015?
Playing shows and playing "Just Kids" on the road! My band is amazing!
Note: Special thanks to Nicole DeRosa for conducting this interview.