10 Questions with ... Ingrid Michaelson
April 13, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
Ingrid Michaelson recently released her sixth album "Lights Out" which had a Top 6 hit at Adult Top 40 with the song "Girls Chase Boys."
Her other hits include "Maybe" (#2 at AAA and #14 at Adult Top 40) "The Way I Am" (#15 Adult) "Afterlife," "Everybody," and "Ghost," which all charted in the Top 20.
She achieved a Platinum single with "The Way I Am" and a Gold single with "Be Ok." Her "Human Again" release was a #1 digital album and the albums "Lights Out" and "Everybody" went Top 5 on the Digital Chart. Her collaboration with Sara Bareilles on "Winter Song" was a #2 hit in Ireland.
1) Hi Ingrid! How are you? Where does this interview find you and what's on the agenda for you today besides our interview?
Today is a day off in Charleston. I plan on sleeping and eating!
2) How would you describe yourself as a child growing up in Staten Island, New York?
My parents were both very creative and they encouraged creativity around the house. I grew up with my hands in paint or clay and was always singing. I had a very free wonderful childhood.
3) Did you know early on you wanted to be a musician? Who were your big influences back then?
I wanted to be on the stage for as long as I can remember. I went to school for musical theatre. It wasn't until I was out of college that song writing clicked for me actually.
4) Your latest single is "Afterlife," who or what was the catalyst or inspiration for that song?
I was having a rough few months and I needed to write something that would pull me out.
5) You also just released the video for "Afterlife" as well. Did you help come up with the treatment for the video?
I did! I wanted my fans to be a part of one of my videos. And I thought it would be really inspiring to see people doing things that scared them. I thought it would encourage others to be fearless.
6) What was the first piece of music that you fell in love with growing up and why?
I loved "When I'm Sixty Four" by the The Beatles. My best friend and I would grab my grandma's canes and dance around the living room to it. It was just so sweet and silly and didn't take itself seriously. But it was poignant. I loved that.
The first album I purchased was "Our Time In Eden" by The 10,000 Maniacs! So long ago!
7) Your new tour is called, "Lights Out: Stripped." What has been your most memorable show to date so far and why?
I think playing New York City Summer Stage in Central Park was a milestone for me. To play to that many people in my hometown in my favorite park was pretty epic for me.
8) What is in your current music playlist?
Vampire Weekend, Coldplay, Katie Herzig are a few of my tops.
9) Any artists or genres we might be surprised to find in there?
I love most classical music. My father listens to mostly classical so I grew up on it.
10) What's on tap next for you this year? What are you most excited about in 2015?
I'll be writing and recording, and doing some touring. I am excited about creating a new record. There is something amazing about it. Watching the songs unfold in front of you and making something out of nothing. I can't wait!
*Thank you to Nicole DeRosa for conducting this interview.