10 Questions with ... Jennifer Paige
November 23, 2015
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
1) Please tell us about your Christmas album "Holiday". The album includes some original songs like "Happy Happy Holidays To You" and "Miss You Most At Christmas Time." You also have a new take on the classic "Deck The Halls" which you did in your own unique way. Please tell us how you approached the writing, recording, and selecting these songs?
I love Christmas music and what it represents. For me, that's family, friends, parties, dressing up, giving gifts and quality time with the people we love most. Music often marks a time in our lives but because the holidays come every year, these albums become part of our memories, year after year. I wanted to make an album that would encourage people to create happy memories together! But I don't think the world needs another version of a classic, unless it's re-imagined. So I've taken classic songs and I've added my own spin to make them feel new again. It was a great opportunity for me to write my own Christmas songs, as well.
2) You had a big hit with your song "Crush" which broke through on the Pop charts and eventually went platinum. Please describe your experience the first time you heard your song on the radio and the thrill of watching it become a big hit record?
I had dreamed of hearing myself on the radio my entire life, so having a hit song felt oddly familiar and completely surreal at the same time.
3) Please tell us about the making of your animated video for "Deck The Halls"?
The video to the song was created by fashion illustrator Jamie Lee Reardin, whose clients include Dior and SWAROVSKI. This may only be pertinent to "fashionistas" like me but I think this lyric video is adorable.
4) You recently launched a Kickstarter campaign for your forthcoming album, and it looks like you're well on your way to being funded for this project. What can you tell us about launching a campaign like this and what have you learned in the process?
I'm loving the interaction with fans. They take it on as their personal mission to see that you meet your goal. I remember a time when being an artist meant being inaccessible, when artists were whisked away from fans as if to say 'she's too busy to talk to you' or 'she's too important'. I'm finding that I feel much more comfortable with this type of camaraderie than I ever did with the exclusion before. It's a vulnerable position to place yourself in to ask "What do you think? Want a new album from me...or not?" So to receive this kind of positive reinforcement has been amazing.
Click here to visit Jennifer's Kickstarter Page.
5) Is there a new song you've written for your forthcoming record that you're really excited to record?
I have a new song that I recently released as a snippet on YouTube called "Let Me Love You". It gives a sneak peek into the new album and it feels amazing to put new music out into the world. Due to many crazy twists and turns of my life, it has been eight years since I released a solo album (not including "Holiday"). So I have never been more excited to release something new and I think it's the best music I've ever made.
6) You had the honor of singing for Pope John Paul II live at the Vatican. How did you get that gig and what was it like meeting His Holiness?
I was asked to represent my generation (at the time) for a Christmas concert at the Vatican. It was one of the highlights of my career, thus far! A memory I will cherish always.
7) Who are some of the artists who have influenced your career?
Annie Lennox, Mariah Carey, Sade, George Michael, Etta James... there were too many great artists at the time to know who actually made the biggest impact on me?
8) How are you using social media these days to connect with your audience?
When a community of like minded people come together through social media, it's amazing how true the friendships can become. I'm using lots of video and live streams these days so I see their comments and participate in real time chats. I'm humbled by their support on a daily basis.
9) The production on your Christmas album "Holiday" sounds great! Please tell us about your recording process and what it was like working with producers Chance Scoggins, Doug Beiden, Chris Brush on "Holiday" and with Jeremy Bose (Ingrid Michaelson, Mat Kearney, The Band Perry) who produced some early recordings for your forthcoming album?
Making "Holiday" was one of the most fun processes I've ever had musically. I basically worked with all of my friends. My brother and I co-produced some songs, and the other producers are just really great and talented people. I hired a choir of amazing singers filled with my friends. We had a blast and I think the album reflects that.
10) Who are some of the artists we might find on your playlist these days?
Everything from Adele to Sam Smith, Disclosure, Elle King, Meghan Trainor and Chris Stapleton
What do you do in your spare time?
Yoga, farmer's market, I cook, and I take my one-year old baby girl and my Basset Hound for nice, long Tennessee walks. I write songs, I travel... and I love to go out and see live music.
How do you balance your family life?
I don't. I just hold on for dear life and hope for the best. ;)