10 Questions with ... Ellen K
February 8, 2016
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- KFMB (B100)/San Diego
- KIIS (102.7 KISS FM/Los Angeles
- KOST (103.5)/Los Angeles
1) Please tell us what got you interested in radio?
I needed a college elective and the TV station didn't have any open positions!!
I have been really lucky and I have always found myself working at radio stations with truly amazing people. It is the people on the staff that attracts the listeners and makes it a special place all the way around.
2) How are you adjusting to your new position at KOST after working at KIIS for so many years?
I say thank you every time I talk to Ryan for the amazing support in the transition, and to Greg Ashlock, Kevin LeGrett, Andrew Jeffries and Michael LaCrosse, Julie Martzke and the entire KOST team for the big supportive welcome!
3) What is it about The Ellen K Show that really connects with your audience?
It's a lot of listener interaction. I've always been very attached to the phones. The listener is my everything!
We have the Tellin' Ellen Hotline" where listeners call and leave us relationship problems for the most part, "Feel Good Fridays" and "Ellen K Q&A."
4) You have worked with some of the biggest talents in radio as the co-host for Rick Dees and Ryan Seacrest. Can you share some of the insight you have learned from these legendary personalities?
Mutual respect and admiration must be present for a true team on radio to work.
I have been fortunate to have it with both Dees & Seacrest.
5) You also make regular guest appearances on "The Talk", and you've been the Voice of the Grammys for four years, as well as the VO of ALL the iHeartRadio Music TV shows, People's Choice Awards, etc. ... Are you starting to feel at home on TV as you are on the radio? Or do you still get butterflies?
I just love to be live on the air! its a special energy. I'm grateful to those who say I can be on their air!
6) What do you attribute to your recent ratings success?
Timing & support from Michael LaCrosse. To launch when the Christmas Music came on the air at KOST was a strategic win for all. We were able to hold the amazing shares 6+ that KOST posted last year and even add 1.2 shares.
7) You have been selected as the voice of the upcoming 88th Academy Awards. Can you share with our readers how you prepare for an event like this?
The Academy Awards are so incredibly exciting! I've had many meetings over the past seven months in preparation for the big night. All else will be shared live on February 28th!
8) Please tell us about the thrill of being honored with a Star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame?
I am regularly in front of the W Hotel hanging around to see who might notice that is my STAR right there across from the Pantages!
9) How are you using social media to connect with your listeners?
Our team is operating all platforms at all times. It takes great effort and energy to execute consistently.
10) What advice would you give people new to the business?
Start as early as possible and be WAY more aggressive than you think is necessary. I got the start young part, but I am still working on the aggressive part!
What do you do in your spare time?
I attend my son Calvin's football games or squeeze in a workout, hang out with my husband Roy, and hopefully fit in one good adventure vacation a year!
What's one thing that would surprise many people to learn about you?
I'm a tomboy & really into action sports. I broke both wrists snowboarding an intimidating mountain.
Who do you consider your radio mentors?
Rick Dees, Bobby Rich
Tell us what music we would find on your personal playlist right now?
It is a really wide mix. I dedicated "Magic" by Coldplay to Ryan on my last day at KIIS because I love Coldplay. Rod Stewart is always a favorite as he is a good friend. I think J Cole is amazing and I'll always love the Killers!
What is the biggest promotion you've ever been a part of?
When we gave one caller $1 million for their birthday and then followed-up with $2 million in another birthday game the next year! I thought to myself, if I ever get asked what the biggest promotion I was involved in was I would have to say these two tied for it! So there it is!
Who are your best friends in the business?
Ryan Seacrest, Dennis Clark and Elvis Duran.
What was the biggest gaffe you've made on air?
Falling fully asleep on the overnight shift! Full-on drool and all!