10 Questions with ... Jimmy Knight
March 21, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
- WMEE-FM - Fort Wayne, IN
- WAZY-FM, WSHP, WBPE/WSHY-A - Lafayette, IN
- WAOA - Melbourne/Cocoa/Titusville, Fl
- KCCK, WMT, KKRQ - Cedar Rapids/Iowa City, IA
- KPRS, KCKN-A, - Kansas City, MO
- KSTZ, KAZR, - Des Moines, IA
- WIFC - Wausau/Stevens Point, WI
1) What makes the Ft. Wayne market unique?
I am still pretty new to the area but the most fascinating statistic I have been told so far is that Fort Wayne has more strip clubs and churches per capita then any other city in the country. I guess with all that sinning going on ;-) that makes sense.
2) Who do you consider your radio mentors?
Erin Bristol, Sam Weaver, Jim Schaefer, Tony Banks, J.J. Cook, Greg Runyon, John Jost, Gordon Paulson... the list could go on forever! I am very fortunate to have worked for so many people that were willing to TEACH!
3) What do you view as the most important issue facing radio today?
The liquidation of air talent. Large companies are going more and more with syndication instead of grooming future air talent. I am very fortunate to be with a company that believes in talent and the development of that talent.
4) Why would someone listen to your station instead of listening to music on their iPod?
It's free! We also stay current by playing new music that fits the listeners lifestyle. Plus, my on air talent are relatable, informative, entertaining and local.
5) What is the biggest change that you'd like to see happen in the business?
I would like to see stations go back to having a full LIVE air staff 24/7. You can't replicate that kind of atmosphere and fun with voice-tracking and a satellite dish.
6) Besides your own, what is your favorite radio format?
7) Tell us what music we would find on your MP3 player right now and what is it you enjoy about that particular selection?
I am all over the place... It ranges from 2Pac, Nickelback, Heavy D., Colbie Caillet, KISS, Pantera, Train, Slaughter, Madonna and I will always love Dr. Dre and Ed Lover's... "Back Up Off Me!" Great song!! I love variety and I appreciate all the different genres of music.
8) Favorite artist you have met?
Rob Thomas. He was incredibly nice. When I left our conversation I felt like he learned more about me then I did about him.
9) What is the one truth that has held constant in your career?
Patience is key! Work hard, be consistent and prepare yourself to walk through that door when it opens!
10) As you look back over your career ... any regrets?
I wish I would have listened more, asked more questions and thanked more people along the way.