10 Questions with ... BC Jean
April 4, 2011
BRIEF CAREER SYNOPSIS:
CONTACT: Sarah Weinstein Dennison at RCA Music Group Publicity at (212) 833-5593, or email@example.com.
BC is a Los Angeles-based based singer and multi-Platinum selling, award-winning songwriter who co-wrote Beyonce's mega-hit "If I Were A Boy." She is a dynamic young artist who possesses tremendous talent, drive and passion.
Sony Music CCO Clive Davis, who signed BC to J Records, said, "You eagerly wait for a multi-talented new artist to come along like BC Jean. She's already proven her major songwriting ability and, what's more, she's got a truly powerful voice with edge and natural soulfulness."
BC's first single "I'll Survive You" just impacted Hot AC and was #3 most added with over 15 stations on at impact, including: KBIG/Los Angeles, WIAD/Washington DC, KMYI/San Diego as well as WTIC/ Hartford, WXMA/ Louisville, KWYE/ Fresno, KPEK/ Albuquerque, KLLY/ Bakersfield, KCDU/ Monterey, KCIX/ Boise, WCDA/ Lexington, WAHR/ Huntsville, KLTG/ Corpus, WAYV/ Atlantic City, and more. She is currently in the studio completing her debut album and working with a host of top-notch collaborators, including:
- Max Martin (Katy Perry, Pink, Ke$ha, Taio Cruz, Usher, Bon Jovi, Glee, Adam Lambert and many, many more...)
- Ryan Tedder (One Republic, Jennifer Lopez, Beyonce, Adele, James Blunt, Natasha Bedingfield, Train and many, many more...)
- The Matrix (Jason Mraz, Christina Aguilera, Avril Lavigne, Britney Spears, etc)
- Howard Benson (Kelly Clarkson, Daughtry, 3 Doors Down, Gavin DeGraw, etc)
- Zac Maloy (Carrie Underwood, Daughtry, David Cook, 3 Doors Down, etc)
- Brian Howes (Hinder, Puddle of Mudd, Daughtry, David Cook, etc)
1) What inspired you to begin writing songs?
When I was very young I didn't want to show emotion, so I would write poetry to express myself. I was about 14 when I taught myself how to convert my poems into song format. Inspiration can come from anywhere at anytime. I'm always on call with a notebook in my purse for those creative moments.
2) Your new single, "I'll Survive You" was written by Max Martin who has penned hits for Kelly Clarkson, Pink, and Katy Perry among others. What is it like working with such a consistent hit maker?
I was lucky enough to get to go to Sweden for a couple weeks with Max and witness him create and collaborate. In a way its like he has the magic equation to the perfect Pop song. The entire experience was amazing!
3) You are based here in Los Angeles now and Andrew Jeffries at KBIG (104.3 MYFM) has been very supportive and was the first Hot AC station in the country to start playing "I'll Survive You." Now KMYI (Star 94.1) in your hometown of San Diego has ALSO added your single early. How exciting is it to know that your song is on the radio in both the town you grew up in and your current hometown?
Its pretty rad to say the least! I am so grateful to Andrew and Jason and everyone over at 104.3 MYFM, as well as Jimmy Steele and Haze at Star 94.1 and everyone in San Diego for the support. I also get to do a show with KBIG in Hollywood April 18th so I am really excited for that, and can't wait to get down to San Diego to play as well. I really appreciate the love. :)
4) You recently performed on Rachael Ray. What was it like doing your first TV performance? Was it nerve-wracking to know that your performance was going to be viewed by millions?
It was definitely nerve-wracking. However I wasn't consciously thinking about the millions at home watching. The actual performance happened so fast, it was like a rollercoaster ride. As soon as I was done I wanted to do it all over again.
5) What's it like interacting with a legend like Clive Davis?
It's been the best experience in my life! He has taught me so much. He has an amazing ear. There's a reason he's a legend and I feel honored and empowered to know he believes in me.
6) Your career has now expanded into acting with your starring role as "Harper" on the new series "Talent" which debuts on April 5th on Alloy TV. Tell us about the new show and this role you are playing. How does it feel to be in front of the camera as opposed to behind the microphone?
My character Harper is a singer/songwriter from Big Bear who comes to LA with her best friend/manager to make it. Harper is a wild child, free spirit who draws inspiration for her songs from boys and having fun in life. So it wasn't very difficult for me to get into character :-)
I loved the entire process shooting "Talent". Everyone on the cast and crew was so great to work with. And working in front of the camera is totally different from singing behind a microphone.
Music is my passion, but I have to admit I did fall in love with acting and the whole experience after working on "Talent".
7) You are currently filming a new video. Can you tell us a little bit about it?
I wish I could!!! I'm waiting to go over treatments currently so hopefully shooting my music video in the VERY near future.
8) Who have been your major musical influences?
I must have been five years old when my first favorite song was "She Drives Me Crazy" by The Fine Young Cannibals. Then my first CD I ever bought was "Tragic Kingdom" by No Doubt. I listened and dissected that album as well as Alanis Morissette's "Jagged Little Pill". I also love the classics like Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Blondie and Queen.
9) You recently performed at the Finish Line Festival for the Los Angeles Marathon. Unfortunately, it was on a day when one of the worst storms of the year rolled through Southern California, with extreme winds and HEAVY rain showers. We heard a $30,000 mixer blew up, you must have been terrified! Can you give us some behind the scenes stories about this day and tell us some of the challenges you experienced to perform under these conditions?
To be honest I wasn't afraid. But the equipment that blew up and broke down was a huge bummer but we kept playing like it was the best show ever. It was my very first gig with my full band so we were stoked to be there regardless. Sure it was insane, windy, and stormy, and it was very cold. The stage was covered but everything was still soaked including us. I just said to my band, "Hey its Rock n Roll, Lets do this!" So we made the best of it. It was an adventure and we will never forget our first show that is for sure!
10) "I'll Survive You" impacts Hot AC radio on April 4th. What are your future plans for promotion of your new single and forthcoming album?
I'll be going on a radio promo tour to visit and perform for some radio stations. And I'm getting some shows lined up with my band for the near future. The show "Talent" I'm in will be promoting my music as well. So hopefully my publisher will get my songs licensed on a TV show or movie. :)
1) What artists or songs would we be surprised to find on your iPod?
I have a wide variety of music I listen to... I love the Pop stuff, including one of my favorites to this day, Britney Spears. I also love Portishead and Sia for the more vibey music. And I'll always be a fan of Journey and anything Rock 'n Roll!