Thursday, April 21, 2016
April 21, 2016
Live like a listener. Here's a great exercise for you and your PD to do with your morning hosts one morning. Meet at the station early and do the following.
- pile into one car and go get stuck in traffic
- travel the most common routes around your area
- notice things like:
- are people traveling alone or are they carpooling?
- can you tell their "mood?"
- ask yourself, "How genuinely relatable are we to what's going on?"
- Listen to your competition
- chances are, your morning host has never really listened to their competition
- does your competition provide better or necessary information?
- in what context can you provide better service elements?
I guarantee you will learn a lot. Make sure you follow-up; meet with your hosts the next day after their show or the day after and ask them what they learned.
Comments? E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.