Friday, July 15, 2016
July 15, 2016
You'd have to be living in a bunker not to notice that it's a Presidential year ... political season. For many stations, it's feast or famine. If you want to pursue it, here are a few key points:
- You can easily obtain a list of local candidates in your area through the Board of Elections. Because they must register, they also provide contact information.
- Send an introductory letter or e-mail indicating your interest in helping a candidate spread their message and offer some insight to the value of your audience.
- Make sure your political public file materials are in order.
- Do you have proper candidate disclosure forms?
- Are you prepared to track all political advertising inquiries?
- Have you done your necessary research to establish your lowest unit rate?
- Have you established your political rates?
- Have you determined if you want to take advertising for all races, or just some? * * * *
Remember, you HAVE to take Federal. State races and ballot issues are your choice.
It's always best to contact your station attorney for proper guidelines. Trust me, you don't want to be on a receiving end of a political audit.
Comments? E-mail me at email@example.com.