The New iPad Unveiled
March 7, 2012 at 11:47 AM (PT)
The highly anticipated APPLE iPAD 3 -- simply called "The New iPAD" by CEO TIM COOK -- was unveiled at an invitation-only showcase in YERBA BUENA, CA. Live reports of the presentation were streamed at ENDGADGET.COM.
As predicted, the new iPAD will boast Retina display with 3.1 million pixels. "The most ever in a mobile device," PHIL SCHILLER said. It will also have an A5X processor, quad-core graphics, an iSight camera with a 5-megapixel backside illuminated sensor on the back, 5-element lens, IR filter, and ISP built into the A5X chip. It features the same auto-exposure and auto-focus that's in the iPhone 4S, 1080p video recording and software stabilization.
Other highlights include:
* A microphone has been built into the new iPAD for voice dictation in U.S. English, British, Australian, French, German and Japanese.
* A 4G LTE that's exponentially faster than the iPAD 2. VERIZON, ROGERS, BELL, TELUS and AT&T will be the LTE partners. At the same time, it's 3G "world-ready," so "Whichever one you pick you can roam anywhere around the world," SCHILLER continued.
* The iPAD has the capabilities of being a personal hotspot too -- if the carrier supports it -- with "the most wireless bands that ha sever been shipped."
* Even though they bumped up the iPAD from 3G to 4G, the new version has the same 10-hour battery life.
* It's 9.4mm thin, weighs 1.4lbs., available in black and white, and will list for $499 for the 16GB, $599 for 32GB and $699 for 64GB.