No Surprises As Arbitron And Edison Release 'The Infinite Dial 2012'
April 11, 2012 at 5:03 AM (PT)
In JANUARY/FEBRUARY 2012, ARBITRON and EDISON RESEARCH conducted a national telephone survey offered in both English and Spanish language (landline and cell phone) of 2,020 people aged 12 and older. That data has been released as "The Infinite Dial 2012 -- Navigating Digital Platforms"
ARBITRON and EDISON note the data was weighted to national 12+ population figures, and that the "studies provide estimates of emerging digital platforms and their impact on the media landscape.":
Some Of The Highlights
* The 30% year-over-year jump in the weekly online radio audience shows that radio is more relevant than ever, spanning broadcast, video, mobile, social media, and online
* Smartphone ownership has tripled in two years.
* The majority of Americans own a portable digital media device.
* Social media grows most year over year among age 45+
Some Of The Online Radio Findings Include
* Monthly Online Radio Audience Reaches Four in Ten Americans
* Weekly Online Radio Audience Jumps Dramatically Year Over Year
* Weekly Online Radio Listeners Report Listening for Nearly Ten Hours Per Week
* Vast Majority of Online Radio Listeners Also Listen to Over-the-Air Radio
* Continued Rise in Those Who Use Their Cell Phone to Listen to Online Radio in Their Cars
* One in Three At-Work Radio Listeners Listen On a Computer or Mobile Device
Heavy Users Of Radio, TV And Internet
* Ages of Heavy Radio Users Closest to Population; Heavy Internet Users Skew Younger, Heavy TV Users Lean Older
* Heavy Usage of One Medium Is NOT Necessarily Associated With Less Time With Other Media
* Heavy Users of Radio and Internet More Likely to Be Employed Full-Time