Judge Declines To Release Sugarland Depositions About Stage Collapse
May 10, 2012 at 7:36 AM (PT)
MARION Superior Court Judge THEODORE SOSIN has declined to release depositions by MERCURY NASHVILLE trio SUGARLAND about the INDIANA STATE FAIR stage collapse. He also told a plaintiff's attorney he shouldn't have publicized videotaped portions of the lead singer's testimony last month (NET NEWS 4/17).
The judge also told parties involved in the lawsuits that he'll rule by early next week on a schedule for moving those suits toward resolution. He said he may also expand an existing gag order.
Attorney KENNETH J. ALLEN, who represents several of the victims, released videotaped portions of SUGARLAND member JENNIFER NETTLES' deposition and he said he released the video in response to what he called “inaccurate statements by the band's publicists.” ALLEN had asked the transcripts of documents for NETTLES and member KRISTIAN BUSH be released.
"Our problem is our clients don't have publicists," ALLEN said.
BILL JOHNSON, an attorney for the band's ownership company, LUCKY STAR INC., said four of the five statements released by SUGARLAND’s publicists had been drafted as direct responses to comments made by ALLEN about the band.
"They're the entertainers and they caused it — that's the spin he's put on it," JOHNSON said to the judge.
The judge said he will also rule early next week on a proposed agreement by several parties to the lawsuits that calls for them to go to trial after APRIL 2014 -- but ALLEN is seeking an earlier trial date.
Read more on the case from THE TENNESSEAN here.