Facebook Tops One Billion Users
October 4, 2012 at 9:44 AM (PT)
TODAY, FACEBOOK announced that the social network goliath has topped one billion users -- that is, users who visited the site within a month. The NEW YORK TIMES reports that FACEBOOK Founder/CEO MARK ZUCKERBERG made the announcement in a blog post on the company’s website.
"If you’re reading this: Thank you for giving me and my little team the honor of serving you," he wrote. "Helping a billion people connect is amazing, humbling and by far the thing I am most proud of in my life."
To spotlight the accomplishment, FACEBOOK offered some interesting trivia about the company:
* People have used the "Like" button more than 1.1 trillion times since it was added in FEBRUARY 2009.
* There have been more than 140 billion friend connections.
* Since the fall of 2005, nearly 220 billion photos have been uploaded to the site.
* Facebook has 600 million mobile users.
* The median age of FACEBOOK’s one billion users who joined in the past week: 22. That's younger than what is was in 2008, when the median age was 26.