Reports: New iPhone Coming Sept. 10th
August 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM (PT)
As summer turns to fall, certain things are expected to happen -- football season starts ... leaves change colors and start falling from the trees ... and a new iPHONE will be announced. That seems to be the case this year, as CNN and a slew of other media sites are reporting that APPLE will unveil its latest version of the iPHONE in SEPT. 10th.
While APPLE remains characteristically tight-lipped about it, the new generation will likely be called iPHONE 6 or 5S. Rumors are coming from a multitude of sources; the main thing they all seem to agree on is that the new iPHONE will run iOS 7, the latest version of APPLE's mobile operating system, which includes new typography, redesigned icons and a new color palette. As with most phone upgrades, it would hardly be a surprise of it didn't also have faster processor, longer battery life, and an improved camera.
As for the other speculation, your guess is as good as theirs:
* One rumor has the new version as the iPHONE 5S having the same design as the current iPhone 5.
* Another rumor has APPLE unveiling a cheaper version -- just $99, coming in five or six different colors -- primarily for sale in emerging markets. APPLE SVP PHIL SCHILLER publicly disputed this rumor, but APPLE is not above using misdirection in advance of new product releases.
* Since there will be a cheaper iPHONE, APPLE will discontinue production of older models.
* Still another rumor has APPLE coming out with at least one larger iPHONE model, boasting a 4.7-inch screen, a 5.7-inch screen, or both.
* The new phone could have a fingerprint scanner for added security and other uses.