Center For Sales Strategy: The Biggest Challenges Of Media Salespeople and Sales Managers
January 13, 2014 at 4:52 AM (PT)
The CENTER FOR SALES STRATEGY fielded questionnaires to salespeople and sales managers in mid- 2013, "seeking to learn what each group identifies as its biggest needs, those specific challenges where improved performance would deliver the biggest payoff."
Approximately 2,600 sellers and over 900 managers were invited to participate in the SURVEYMONKEY questionnaire. All were from advertising media firms, with highly diverse representation from the key media sectors—radio, television, internet, cable, newspaper, and magazine—representing the breadth of the company’s client base.
Some of the findings:
Top-ranked Sales Manager Selections:
1. “Finding great salespeople to add to the staff is an ongoing challenge.” 45.4%
2. “My salespeople don’t have enough new, qualified prospects.” 29.6%
3. “We have so many products and services to sell that some get lost in the rush and don’t get the attention they require.” 28.3%
4. “We need to find ways to increase our digital revenue.” 26.3%
Top-ranked Salesperson selections:
1. “I find it difficult to get the first appointment with those I have determined are my most ideal prospects.” 45.4%
2. “It is difficult to find enough ideal prospects to create a list of those I would consider approaching.” 36.6%
3. “Selling is more difficult these days because clients are paying more attention to metrics and measurement.” 33.7%
4. “It can be a difficult task to nail down a clear assignment from the prospect, which is necessary to develop the best solution.” 32.2%