Edison Research Finds Major In-Store Listening
April 16, 2014 at 5:29 PM (PT)
A new audience research study by EDISON RESEARCH measured the audience for INSTORE AUDIO NETWORK, the leading provider of in-store audio advertising in drug, grocery and mass merchandiser stores. The surveys were also used to measure the basic
demographics of the INSTORE AUDIO Network audience.
The major findings of the study are:
* The stores in the entire INSTORE AUDIO NETWORK have an average of 39 million daily visits from shoppers ages 12+.
* The total number of weekly impressions for a commercial that runs once per hour on the INSTORE AUDIO GROCERY and MASS MERCHANDISER NETWORKS and twice per hour on the INSTORE AUDIO DRUG STORE NETWORK is 140 million -- a national daily rating of 7.6.
* The total number of shoppers who visit at least one of the stores in the INSTORE AUDIO NETWORK during a typical week is estimated to be 104.6 million -- nearly 40% of the national population of ages 12 and older.
* The average number of shopping visits per week is 2.46 times for the drug store, 2.73 times for the grocery stores and is 2.24 times per week for the mass merchandiser stores.
* The average length of a shopping trip in drug stores is, on average, 19 minutes; 26 minutes in grocery stores and 32 minutes in mass merchandiser stores.
"Our research demonstrates that INSTORE AUDIO NETWORK reaches an extremely large number of shoppers each day in a captive audio environment. A commercial played once per hour in the INSTORE AUDIO NETWORK reaches in one day more than double the average primetime audience of a commercial on one of the four major broadcast networks," EDISON RESEARCH EVP JOE LENSKI said. "Our research over the past seven years also shows that both the number of visits per week and the amount of time that shoppers spend in drug and grocery stores has remained steady."
"EDISON RESEARCH provides independent confirmation that InStore Audio Network reaches a larger audience than most network TV programs, most network radio programs and even reaches more shoppers in a week – 104.6 million – than Pandora has active listeners in a month. Furthermore, it is unique in getting our advertiser’s messages heard right at the point-of-purchase by a captive audience – the holy grail of brand and shopper marketing," INSTORE AUDIO NETWORK Pres./CEO GARY SEEM said.
To obtain an executive summary of the EDISON RESEARCH survey, contact INSTORE AUDIO NETWORK Pres./Sales KEVIN CONNOLLY at Kevin.Connolly@InStoreAudioNetwork.com.