TuneIn Relaunches As An 'Audio Network'
May 7, 2014 at 3:55 AM (PT)
TUNEIN has released its redesigned platform and user interface, described as "turning live radio on TUNEIN into a real-time, relevant, and social experience." TUNEIN will connect millions of listeners and broadcasters from all over the globe with new features including a personalized live feed, profile pages, and the ability to share content through the "echo" feature. The new TUNEIN will launch with hundreds of content partners, such as CNN, CBS RADIO, ESPN RADIO, THE WALL STREET JOURNAL, NPR, SLATE, THE WEATHER CHANNEL, COMPLEX MEDIA and LEXUS.
“Until now, TUNEIN was a search engine for audio. With our launch TODAY (5/7), TUNEIN transforms into an audio network, the first of its kind for live content,“ said CEO JOHN DONHAM. “In the past few years our listeners have favorited stations over 100 million times. These favorites are the initial follower audience for our content providers, and on day one, 95% of our content partners will have more followers on TUNEIN than they have on FACEBOOK or TWITTER.”
New TUNEIN features include:
- Explore: Discover and follow new stations, podcasts, genres, and categories you enjoy to build your own personal radio dial.
- Feed: See what’s happening live around the world on your personal dial with real-time updates of what’s playing on your favorite stations, shows, or content categories.
- Echo: Share what you’re listening to with friends, followers, and other social networks. Your echo will show up in the feed of anyone who follows you.
- Profile: Create your own customizable profile so that your friends can follow you and what you are following on TUNEIN.
Bridging Content Creators And Listeners
With this launch, TUNEIN has brought together radio, TV, media, web, and brand partners from around the world. Radio partners participating include ESPN RADIO, NPR, GLOBAL RADIO, TALKSPORT, and nearly every top radio broadcaster in the U.S., like CBS RADIO, EMMIS, ENTERCOM, SBS, and new partner, RADIO ONE. TV partners, such as CNN, THE WEATHER CHANNEL, and SKY NEWS are also joining the network, with audio simulcasts of their television content. New media and web partners include THE WALL STREET JOURNAL, SLATE, COMPLEX MEDIA, POPSUGAR, THE ECONOMIST, THE WEEK, SUB POP, IGN, and THE NEW YORKER.
“We are excited to be part of the re-launch of TUNEIN’s platform and its focus on serving the community of sports fans with ESPN Audio content anytime, anywhere,” said ESPN SVP/Production, Business Divisions TRAUG KELLER.
New features for content creators include:
- Content Creator Profile: A new way for broadcasters, podcasters, artists, brands, and more, to engage directly with fans and followers via their customized profile.
- Echo: Publish content to followers and other social networks.
- TUNEIN Follow Button: TUNEIN’s social “follow us on TUNEIN” button can be added to any existing site, making it easier for creators to connect with and build their audience.
“TUNEIN’s new platform will bring Entercom’s great local content even closer to listeners. We are excited about the compelling new features on the enhanced platform and how they will increase listener engagement with our market leading brands,” said ENTERCOM Pres./CEO DAVID FIELD.
“We are pleased to continue our partnership with TUNEIN and look forward to deepening the connection we have with our listeners who access our premium content through these new interactive platforms,” said CBS LOCAL DIGITAL MEDIA Pres. EZRA KUCHARZ. “There is tremendous value in original radio programming and showcasing our leading station brands to additional online and mobile users has proven to be a growing complement to our business.”
MORE ABOUT: tunein | cbs radio | slate | espn radio | npr | entercom | complex media | the weather channel | the wall street journal | cnn | mobile | twitter | search | lexus | ign | u.s | sbs | sub pop | emmis | today | sky news | ezra kucharz | traug keller | radio one. tv | the economist | the new yorker | global radio | david field | cbs local digital media | the week | popsugar | talksport | john donham | facebook | employment | insurance | credit