MTV Video Music Awards Fuels Record Sales, Social Media Activity
August 28, 2014 at 11:38 AM (PT)
While this year's edition of the 2014 MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS was viewed by 8.3 million viewers on its opening telecast, down from last year's 10.1 million, levels across all networks totaled 10.3 million, with 13.7 million watching the various rebroadcasts SUNDAY night. More than 7 million streams have been watched online since MTV posted the full show MONDAY morning.
In addition, there was plenty of post-show action for the various performers:
- BEYONCÉ immediately saw her album jump to #7 from #40 on the ITUNES album charts, notching a 1442% increase. She also scored separate trending topics on TWITTER.
- After collaborating with MTV on a summer-long campaign to launch her album, ARIANA GRANDE's "My Everything" premiered atop the ITUNES album chart upon its release at midnight following her VMA performance. She also scored nine separate trending topics on TWITTER.
- NICKI MINAJ saw her singles catalog spike 215%, while “Anaconda” saw a SATURDAY to MONDAY jump of nearly 60%. Additionally, she landed eight different trending topics on TWITTER.
- MAROON 5 saw pre-orders for their forthcoming album “V” jump 166%, while their single “Maps,” which they performed live on the show, increased 32%. They landed seven separate different trending topics on TWITTER.
- SAM SMITH saw his single "Stay With Me" increase 90%, while combined versions of his debut album “In The Lonely Hour” experienced a 95% sales lift. Additionally, he scored four trending topics on TWITTER.
- 5 SECONDS OF SUMMER marked their VMA debut by scoring an 85% lift for single sales of “Amnesia” and a 35% lift of their debut self-titled album. The band also scored 10 separate trending topics on TWITTER.
- Pre-show opener and VMA winner for MTV Artist to Watch FIFTH HARMONY saw their single “Bo$$” increase 16% for the week, while their album jumped from #4 to #8 on the ITUNES album chart. Across social, the band increased their TWITTER followers by 112% and landed four trending topics.
- VMA pre-show performer and nominee CHARLI XCX saw her hit single “Boom Clap" spike 22%. Additionally, she landed a worldwide trending topic on TWITTER.