Cream's Jack Bruce Dead At 71
October 27, 2014 at 2:58 AM (PT)
JACK BRUCE, most famous for his time as the bassist and lead vocalist for the rock supergroup CREAM, died on SATURDAY (10/25) at his home in SUFFOLK, ENGLAND. He was 71.
His family confirmed his death on his website. A spokesman said the cause was liver disease. BRUCE had received a liver transplant several years ago.
On his website, there were thoughts and reminiscences from musicians JACK inspired:
- "JACK BRUCE RIP 1943-2014. Farewell to a great musician and dear friend. I'll miss the laughter and friendship. Un Abrazote, Hermano x" - PHIL MANZANERA
- "He was a great musician and composer, and a tremendous inspiration to me" - ERIC CLAPTON
- "I am very sad to learn of the loss of a fine man, JACK BRUCE... My thoughts & wishes are with his family at this difficult time." - GINGER BAKER
- "So sad to hear of JACK BRUCE passing. My biggest influence and favourite bass player. Thank you, Jack. RIP." - GEEZER BUTLER
- "Sad to hear of the passing of JACK BRUCE, may he rest in peace" - YUSUF ISLAM (CAT STEVENS)
- "Rest In Peace JACK BRUCE, OG (Original Gangster)" - STEVE JONES
- "A major influence in music and an amazing bass player and singer. He was a hero" - TONY IOMMI
- "JACK BRUCE, probably the most musically gifted bass player who's ever been" - ROGER WATERS
- "Thanks for you amazing art. And being such an inspiration when I started playing bass." - GLENN HUGHES
- "BRUCE’s death at his home in SUFFOLK on OCTOBER 25th at the age of 71 robs us of a man whose life was defined by music until the very end. How we shall miss him." - MOJO