Nielsen's RADAR December Network Ratings Confirm Radio's Reach
December 9, 2014 at 8:59 AM (PT)
NIELSEN's monthly RADAR RADIO NETWORKS RATINGS for DECEMBER indicate that more than 177 million AMERICANS age 12 or older listened to a network radio commercial during an average week. The 46 networks measured by NIELSEN RADAR reach 66.6% of the U.S. population each week.
NIELSEN RADAR reports estimated audiences to network commercials broadcast by affiliates of the subscribing networks. RADAR audience estimates do not account for listening to all network radio programming.
The RADAR DECEMBER 2014 report demonstrates network radio’s appeal across a wide range of ages and markets. Commercials aired on the 46 measured radio networks reached:
- 66.6% of persons aged 12+ (177.5 million listeners)
- 69.5% of persons aged 18-49 (93.6 million listeners)
- 70.3% of persons aged 25-54 (88.1 million listeners)
- 61.5% of Hispanics aged 12+ (26.3 million listeners)
- 73.8% of African Americans aged 12+ (25.1 million listeners)
The RADAR report also demonstrates network radio’s extensive reach in the Top 25 Designated Market Areas:
- 68.8% of persons aged 12+ (92.6 million listeners)
- 72.4% of persons aged 18-49 (50.0 million listeners)
- 73.1% of persons aged 25-54 (47.7 million listeners)
- 65.4% of Hispanics aged 12+ (17.7 million listeners)
- 74.5% of African-Americans aged 12+ (13.6 million listeners)
EDITOR'S NOTE: The number of networks and their affiliates vary over time as the networks adjust to meet marketplace needs. These fluctuations affect the audience estimates for a particular RADAR report but are not indicative of a change in network radio as a whole because not all network radio is reported in RADAR.