Triton Digital Releases October Top 20 Ranker
January 9, 2015 at 1:09 PM (PT)
TRITON DIGITAL has released its monthly Top 20 Ranker for OCTOBER 2014. The Ranker is a listing of the top-performing digital audio stations and networks measured by the WEBCAST METRICS audience measurement platform. WEBCAST METRICS is accredited by THE MEDIA RATING COUNCIL. Streaming audio sessions were up more than 25% in OCTOBER (over OCTOBER 2013); the News/Talk and Sports formats saw the most listening gains compared to SEPTEMBER 2014.
WEBCAST METRICS uses a proprietary platform to track audience data and convert it to metrics that can be understood by both publishers and advertisers. Audience rankings are done on the basis of "Average Active Sessions", with "Session Starts" and "Average Time Spent Listening" also displayed. Full results of the OCTOBER 2014 RANKER can be found here.
Key findings of the OCTOBER 2014 Ranker include:
- Average Active Sessions (AAS) in OCTOBER were 3,832,845 in the Domestic M-F 6a-8p daypart and 3,235,716 in the M-SUN 6a-Midnight daypart, up 25.8% and 30.1% respectively compared to OCTOBER 2013.
- During the M-F 6a-8p daypart, 32% of listening took place on an iOS device, followed by ANDROID (28%), and Flash Player (9%).
- Of the top 20 markets, SEATTLE showed the largest listening gain with a 23.0% increase in AAS, followed by ATLANTA (7.6%), SAN FRANCISCO (5.8%), CLEVELAND (3.9%), DETROIT (3.8%), SAN DIEGO (3.7%) and CHICAGO (3.5%).
- The gain in SEATTLE could be attributed to the shooting at MARYSVILLE-PILCHUCK HIGH SCHOOL, which occurred OCTOBER 24th.
- The News/Talk format showed the largest listening gains from SEPTEMBER to OCTOBER, with a 5.3% increase in AAS, followed closely by Sports (5.1%), with gains also seen in Adult Contemporary (2.4%), Classic Hits (1.2%) and Classic Rock (1.1%).
“Streaming audio continues to see consistent growth, but it is interesting to see which formats grew the fastest in OCTOBER,” TRITON DIGITAL CCO/GM Measurement & Analytics ROB FAVRE said. “We saw a rise in non-music formats between SEPTEMBER and OCTOBER which indicated that listeners were tuning into streaming stations more frequently as a source of information, rather than just to get their music fix. I’m sure the industry will be curious to see whether this trend continues moving forward.”
October's Top 20
- PANDORA CORPORATE
- CBS RADIO INC.
- CUMULUS STREAMING NETWORK
- SLACKER, INC.
- NPR MEMBER STATIONS
- ESPN RADIO CORPORATE
- COX RADIO INC.
- EMF CORPORATE
- IDOBI RADIO
- GREATER MEDIA CORPORATE
- TOWNSQUARE MEDIA
- SALEM COMMUNICATION
- HUBBARD BROADCASTING
- NEW YORK PUBLIC RADIO
- BEASLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATE
- PRISA RADIO
- RADIO ONE