Judge: Suge Knight To Stand Trial For Murder
April 16, 2015 at 11:04 AM (PT)
Despite the fact that eyewitnesses – including one of the victims – recanted their testimony, a LOS ANGELES COUNTY judge ruled that there was still enough evidence to rule that former DEATH ROW RECORDS Founder MARION “SUGE” KNIGHT should stand trial on murder and attempted murder, the L.A. TIMES reports. Earlier this year, KNIGHT allegedly drove his truck into two people in a COMPTON restaurant parking lot (NET NEWS 1/30).
The ruling came “at the end of a preliminary hearing in which the surviving alleged victim recanted portions of his statements to investigators implicating KNIGHT and repeatedly claimed not to remember details about the incident." Actor/filmmaker CLE “BONE” SLOAN, a self-described “non-active gang member," testified that he didn’t remember many of the details when he was run over on JAN. 29th, which rendered him unconscious and caused serious injuries to his legs and head. A second man, TERRY CARTER, was run over and killed.
On the stand, SLOAN was asked about details of the incident he previously provided investigators. He maintained that “it’s all a blur,” even after being confronted with transcripts of an interview he gave sheriff's detectives. Pointing at KNIGHT, he asserted, “I don't want it to get misconstrued that I told on this man. I'm no snitch ... I will not be used to send SUGE KNIGHT to prison.”
What's more, he even declined to identify KNIGHT in court: “Yes, I know Mr. KNIGHT,” he said, "but that does not look like Mr. KNIGHT.”
This isn’t the first time gang-affiliated witnesses have recanted on stand. Prosecutors have crafted a reliable strategy for overcoming what they believe is "just part of the fabric of the system," noted former LOS ANGELES COUNTY Dist. Atty. STEVE COOLEY.