Wieden+Kennedy Takes Top Honors At 2015 Radio Mercury Awards
June 3, 2015 at 5:48 PM (PT)
The Best of Show winner at the 2015 RADIO MERCURY AWARDS tonight was WIEDEN+KENNEDY, winning for the "Mandroid" campaign for OLD SPICE. The award was presented at the 24th annual awards reception at LE POISSON ROUGE in NEW YORK this evening; W+K received a $50,000 prize for winning top honors.
RADIO ADVERTISING BUREAU Pres./CEO ERICA FARBER said. "The 2015 winners all exemplify our mission of recognizing and rewarding the best creative storytellers who engage consumers, help build brands, and keep the spirit of creative radio writing alive. 'Mandroid' and all of this year's winners were inspiring and creative, and continue to meet and exceed the high bar that we set."
"'Mandroid' was above and beyond the most captivating and creative campaign we heard," added Chief Judge and ARNOLD WORLDWIDE Global Chief Creative Officer JIM ELLIOTT. "This year’s winners are great examples of truly original and effective radio creative spots and campaigns.... This year, the final round judges and I heard several contenders in the Best Promotional Use of Radio category, but no clear winner, and after much consideration, we made the decision not to give an award in the category. However, what struck us most in both the Promotional and Most Innovative Use of Radio categories was an emerging use of new technologies, technology, along with social media and other channels, to reach and strengthen the connection with their listeners." The Awards will fold those two categories into one new Award, "Most Innovative Use of Audio."
SUBWAY was named Marketer of the Year, with FARBER saying, "As a leading radio advertiser in 2014 and the world’s largest submarine sandwich chain, with close to Forty-Four Thousand locations in 110 countries, SUBWAY is at its heart a national brand and business that acts locally in creative and impactful ways. They consistently leverage radio, both creatively and contextually, and SUBWAY’s media spend demonstrates their core belief in the power of radio to drive their business forward."
- $50,000 Best of Show: "Mandroid," OLD SPICE, WIEDEN+KENNEDY
- $5,000 Agency/Production Company: "Mandroid- Women," OLD SPICE, WIEDEN+KENNEDY
- $1,500 Agency/Production Company: "Morse Code," MARS, INC./JUICY FRUIT, DDB CHICAGO
- $1,500 Agency/Production Company: "Two Head Ed," MARS, INC./SKITTLES, DDB CHICAGO
- $1,500 Agency/Production Company: "Know My Voice," VocalID, INNOCEAN USA
- $1,500 Agency/Production Company: "Dadsong," OLD SPICE, WIEDEN+KENNEDY
- $3,000 Integrated Radio Campaign: "Mayhem's All-Time Greatest Hits," ALLSTATE, LEO BURNETT CHICAGO
- $1,500 Innovative Use of Radio Showcase: "K9FM Radio," MARS, INC./PEDIGREE, COLENSO BBDO
- $3,000 PSA: "Keep Farts Funny," MEREDITH'S MIRACLES COLON CANCER FOUNDATION, FCB CHICAGO
- $5,000 Radio Campaign: "Mandroid," OLD SPICE, WIEDEN+KENNEDY
- $1,500 Radio Campaign: "CHICAGO Mayhem," ALLSTATE, LEO BURNETT CHICAGO
- $1,500 Radio Campaign: "2014 Radio Campaign," MOTEL 6, THE RICHARDS GROUP
- $5,000 Radio Station Produced: "4G Roadtrip," SUPERIOR CHEVROLET, iHEARTMEDIA CREATIVE SERVICES GROUP
- $3,000 Spanish Language Campaign: "Hello," LIQUID PLUMR/CLOROX, ALMA DDB
- $1,500 Student: "Auction," VCU BRANDCENTER
- Marketer of the Year: SUBWAY
Pictured: FARBER, Best of Show Winners JASON KREHER AND ANIBAL CASSO (WIEDEN + KENNEDY), ELLIOTT